Nikki Wilde's Reviews > Girls in White Dresses

Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close

Oct 07, 11

Read from September 25 to 30, 2011

I am almost at a loss for words. I have no idea how to review this. The back cover say's that this will perfectly capture the wild frustrations and soaring joys of modern life. I can honestly say, that for me, the only thing soaring were my frustrations with this book.

It reads monotonously. We got summer sausage, we cut the summer sausage. I couldn't even keep the characters names straight and I didn't even care. I started despising the characters. Honestly, Isabella was so annoying. She didn't even try to get along with her boyfriends friends. I don't even know why Harrison wanted to be with her.

The only character I liked was Abby with her strange parents. It was the only mildly entertaining piece of the entire novel. Too bad she was such a small part of this.

I really disliked the ending. When I thought we were getting somewhere with Isabella it just stops. No point whatsoever. I actually turned the page looking for more, although, I should have been happy with it ending. I suppose in a way the ending was the best part for me because it meant it was over.

It might sound like I'm being harsh but it just drones on an on with no feeling or growth. I'm not even sure how some people gave this 5 stars. It was terrible. I don't say that lightly either. I never enjoy giving bad reviews but I just have to throw my two cents in. I'm not even sure where the author was trying to go with this one.

Amazon Vine provided this book for my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls in White Dresses.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carrie Boberg Amen!!

Erin You captured a lot of what I was thinking...it didn't take me long to read which is why I rated it as all right, but I found it rather confusing both in time points and with random characters thrown in.

Mehitabel I had trouble with the superfluous characters, too (like there weren't ENOUGH to begin with?!) like Bridget and Cate.

Anna "we got summer sausage, we ate summer sausage" haha so true! I had no idea which girl was which and i didn't care either.

Nikki Wilde I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Knitme23 Yay! Me too. Review above. :)

Nicole I agree wholeheartedly with your review!

Angie I could not agree with you more this was a bad bad book!

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I don't think I got past the third chapter... Donated it.to my library

Robin Strain I completely agree.

Angeline Agree! A waste of time (though luckily not too much of it), and not at all relatable (this coming from a 20something who moved to NYC after college to chase grand dreams).

Nicki Baird Took the words right out of my mouth!

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Thank you.

Chantal Exactly! I wish I had read some reviews before wasting money on this garbage. Total waste of my time.

message 15: by Nikki (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikki Wilde When I went to review this all I saw were positive reviews. I couldn't understand why.

Amanda Muchmore SERIOUSLY.
Also, what the heck happened to Shannon?? (And what was the point of her miserable political boyfriend sob-story if we don't even hear how it ends). I feel like this author has had some serious boy trouble recently... I almost feel bad for her.

message 17: by Dory (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dory Benford My thoughts exactly. No one cares about summer sausage... No one.

Katie your review made me laugh...it was spot on.

Sheri Bay I actually really enjoyed this book, including all of the characters and their stories. True I wish they would have ended Shannon's story and included Abbie more. Maybe I liked it so much bc I just identified with the characters so much.

Also, reading about the summer sausage and bloody Mary's made me want summer sausage and bloody Mary's on a porch deck by a lake w my gf's. just saying.

message 20: by Nikki (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikki Wilde Fair enough. It seemed like I was in the minority when I wrote this review. It just wasn't my thing.

Rachel agree with your point about the ending & Isabella. I was listening to it on audio & was shocked when the narrator began providing the copyright info. Here we were finally able to see a character tackle some real growth and she just stops! The fact that she is willing to go to Boston at all is supposed to be enough? Come on!

Alison Yea I couldn't keep the names straight either and then it was just over. It changed between characters way too frequently. And I thought Lauren's relationship with mark was depressing. It seemed like she just found herself stuck and that was it she was done trying. I feel like the summary of the book on the jacket didn't portray it well.

message 23: by Tammy (new) - rated it 1 star

Tammy I agree with you completely!

Natalie ugh. yes. i got to page 12. 12-- and i found a typo, a freaking typo. "Isabella and Ben starting spending a lot of time together,"--I couldn't even believe it. terrible.

message 25: by eM (new) - rated it 1 star

eM Your review couldn't have been more spot on. It was maybe the most pointless book I've read in the last five years!

message 26: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah The author should have cut back and focused on a few characters and more development. For them to end so strangely on what seemed to be the main character was odd. Often while reading this book I thought to myself is this the baseline for a beginning author? How did this ever get published?