Anila's Reviews > Doctor Who: A Fairytale Life

Doctor Who by Matthew Sturges

Sep 25, 11

bookshelves: galleys-are-win, reviewed, pretty-pictures, netgalley
Read in September, 2011

Quick! Think of everything you don't like about medieval fantasy. Now think of things that make comic books unpleasant reading experiences. Now think of all the things that have the potential to go wrong in Doctor Who.

Of all three categories, this book (or at least, the first fourth as available on NetGalley) did probably about half of the things you thought of.

1. Highly stereotypical and, you know, BORING fantasy setting: check. (Somewhat explaned, but still annoying.)
2. Ridiculous clothing: check.
3. Billowing capes everywhere even when it's not useful and/or physically practical for them to be billowing as they are: check.
4. Poor art: check. (No, really, the faces... *shudder*)
5. The Doctor pushing his companion off to the side/minimizing her involvement in the plot: check.
6. Time Lord-ness used as a get-out-of-jail-free card for danger: check.
7. Random disappearing TARDIS: check.
8. Plot which feels, therefore, extremely contrived: check.

This could be an interesting story if told onscreen, but it doesn't make a very good graphic novel. The art is verging on unpleasant - no, I couldn't do better, but I know several people who could and none of them have graduated college yet - and the storyline, while full of potential, depends on a passive Amy, about which I am less than enthused. Also, I was confused as to where this took place in the timeline - before the Hungry Earth double episode or after it? - and that unanswered question limited my enjoyment of the rest of the story.

Maybe the other 75% of the book will improve it, but I'm not interested in finding out.

Full disclosure: I recieved this book from the publisher via Netgalley. (It's my first Netgalley read!) No outside considerations went into this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Who.