Kristin's Reviews > We'll Always Have Parrots

We'll Always Have Parrots by Donna Andrews

Mar 26, 09

bookshelves: mystery
Recommended for: anyone who's been to a SF&F convention
Read in March, 2009

This was just a fun brain candy book and why I liked it in particular was because it was set at a fantasy convention and, having attended SF&F conventions for the past 15 years, I could so totally relate to the setting. Costumed fans, boring panels, a dealers room, issues with the hotel, masquerades, auctions...yup, been there, done that!

Premise of the book revolves around Meg Langslow and her actor-boyfriend Michael, who is required by contract to attend a certain number of publicity events for the hit fantasy serial show Portafina. Nearly the whole cast and crew are here for this Convention and they are none to happy about it.

Our cast of characters is The "QB", as she is referred to - owns the rights to the comic book, the show and everyone's contract. Not well liked and she refuses to come out of her room for her autograph signings and discussion panels. Michael’s friend and evil nemesis on the show, Walker, just received notice the QB was going to fire him. Nate, the show's writer, can't stand QB because she mangles his scripts. Tabitha is the QB's personal assistant and the only assistant to last more than a week. Iceboat Dully is not who he seems. Chris is the shows weapons master and womanizer. Everyone adores Maggie and Salome the tiger is looking for a new home.

And if the cast weren't enough to contend with, someone let loose the parrots and monkeys and they are now running amok in the hotel.

Yes, the plot has issues, especially with the escaped monkeys, parrots and a tiger on display. Yes, Meg spends the book running about between her booth in the dealers room and trying to solve the mystery. But it was just a fun read anyway.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We'll Always Have Parrots.