Jessica's Reviews > Bay City

Bay City by J.E. Cammon

Sep 25, 2011

bookshelves: speculative-fiction
Read in September, 2011

One of my favorite things about this novel is Cammon’s treatment of vampires. Jarvis is a bit removed from the world he walks in. He interacts with others, earns a living, has a home, but when Cammon switches to Jarvis’ point of view, you realize how very different he is from David or Nick or any other living human. He walks in the world, but is not part of it, not really. As much as I like my vampires as metaphors for sex (Dracula) or just flat out sex objects (see Joss Whedon and Charlaine Harris for examples), I appreciate that someone is breaking from that idea and going with vampire-as-Other.

Nick and David are interesting enough, but for me the focus was Jarvis–I sort of lost interest in the other two in comparison. Nonetheless, I would like to have them both fleshed out further later in the series and learn why David is so far from his fellow werewolves, and where Nick goes next–and whose lives he changes just by being himself.

This is a tight narrative, with just enough description to set the scene and mood and no more. Brevity and economy of word is the main thing, here. It’s a nice change of pace for me, since I so often find myself reading those epic door-stopper epic fantasies. Because the narrative is so tight, I don’t feel that I can talk about the plot much without giving it away. Suffice it to say that I spent the last thirty pages wondering just what else was going to happen to these three, and how it all interlaced.

Where Shadows Lie is the first in a planned series, and I’m quite curious to see where Cammon goes with their stories, or if the series will even follow all three of these characters. I can see him moving forward with some of the secondary characters as well, as the two women, specifically, seemed more three-dimensional and well rounded than we often get with secondary characters…not bad when it’s clear that the author doesn’t believe in wasting words.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bay City.