Yvonne Boag's Reviews > The Land I Came Through Last

The Land I Came Through Last by Robert         Gray

Sep 25, 11

bookshelves: 2012-year-of-reading, non-fiction
Read in September, 2011

When someone writes a book, whether it is fiction or non fiction it is usually because they have a story or idea to share. They also believe that other people will be interested in this concept. Not so with The Land I came through last. It has to be one of the most boring memoirs I have ever had the mischance to read. Robert Gray is a well respected poet and critic and his memoir is certainly well written. However the only two things that seemed to influence his life is that his dad was a drunk and his mother a Mormon. All this memoir does is gives us example after example of this. It is a rather pointless story to tell and to expect anyone outside of his family to be interested is really quite baffling. One has to assume that there was pressure from someone to write the memoir or otherwise it is an exercise in pure ego. Two stars from me. One for the writing and one for the cover image, which was the most enjoyable part of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Land I Came Through Last.