Marla Raymond's Reviews > Gone, Baby, Gone

Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane

Sep 25, 2011

Ok, so this isn't my usual kiind of book. The only reason I desided to read this book is because i seen that it was going to be made into a movie...I seen the previews for the movie and it looked really good. A real emotional roller coaster, So since i always know the books are way better than the movie, i bought and read the book before the movie came out. I know this is going to sound weird and what not to anyone who reads this. I know the story is a sad and disturbing one. But Lehane writes so beautifully. He paints a very detailed literary picture like no other. His words, his descriptions of certin things in the book just grabbed me. I read paragraph's over and over again.

"When a child disappears, the space she'd occupied is immediately filled with dozens of people. And these people-relatives, friends, police officers, reporters from both tv and print-create a lot of energy and noise, a sense of communal intensity, of fierce and shared dedication to a task.

But Amid all that noise, nothing is louder than the silence of the missing child. It's a silence that's two and a half to three feet tall, and you feel it at your hip and hear it rising up from the floorboards, shouting to you from corners and crevices and the emotionless face of a doll left on the floor by the bed.

It's a silence that's diffrent from the one left at funerals and wakes. The silence of the dead carries with it a sense of finality; it's a silence you know you must get used to. But the silence of a missing child is not something you want to get used to; you refuse to accept it, and so it screams at you. The Silence of The dead says, good-bye, the Silence of the missing say's, find me"

This was like WOW!!!!!! Books are all about words and boy can he put them together so nice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone, Baby, Gone.