Liza's Reviews > Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller

Jun 10, 12

bookshelves: african, nonfiction-memoir
Read in June, 2012

I had high hopes for this novel since I loved "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (a similar memoir about growing up in Africa) and have actually been on safari just miles away from Zimbabwe. I was pretty let down. Fuller had an incredibly unique childhood and one that should be shared. However, I wish this memoir had more continuity throughout rather than random stories jumping around. I often forgot her age in different stories, and I was often disappointed that something (like boarding school) would be mentioned then no story about it was included.

Other than in one story, I felt like I really didn't know or understand how Fuller felt. She told the memories in a very factual recounting, but I wanted to know how she felt at different moments. How did she feel being away from her parents at boarding school? How were the other students' lives similar or different than hers? Were other European families farming in Africa like her family was, just in other places? Did she like the structure and consistency at school? Did she still have servants at school? Did her family ever consider dismissing some servants when money was too tight?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight.