Dave's Reviews > Physics of the Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny and Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100

Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku

Sep 25, 2011

it was ok
Read in September, 2011

It's not bad, it's just not great either.

I quickly got tired of the tone, which seems melodramatic. He talks incessantly about reclaiming the power the ancient gods were said to have, like the Greeks'.

It also takes a while to get going and to understand the structure, which takes an area of technology and then explores it near, mid, and long term future.

After all of that, I felt like I had heard of most of the technologies he talks about before. The most interesting parts are where he projects farthest out even past the year 2100, or when he talks about the large-scale societal effects of the technologies, rather than the technologies themselves. For example, what would it mean for capitalism to have a 'replicator' that can produce whatever the user needs? What would it mean for population when people are able to live substantially longer? What would it mean for competitiveness when parents can design their children to gene?

He tends to be optimistic about all of these things, where a fiction author might take any one of these questions and explore what would happen if we made selfish choices. The book I read after was Oryx and Crake, which did just that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Physics of the Future.