Karol's Reviews > Meet Marie-Grace

Meet Marie-Grace by Sarah Masters Buckey

Jan 11, 12

Read from September 25, 2011 to January 11, 2012

It was easy to feel the wonder and shyness Marie-Grace felt in New Orleans. To be new in a place full of life and be on the outside is difficult. The true magic of New Orleans came through the people who were embracing and supportive -- specifically Cecile and Mademoiselle Oceane.

The Looking Back chapter offered information I didn't know, such as the range of culture diversity and how New Orleans became a part of the United States.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meet Marie-Grace.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rosemarie Hi Karol, Just finished these and was a bit disappoined - how did you feel about the Yellow Fever epidemic? I was not expecting that - and it made me want to hurry through them. : (

Karol I was also disappointed in that the series concentrated mostly on the Yellow Fever Epedimic. I would have liked to have seen Marie-Grace and Cecile's characters budding friendship more and learned more about New Orleans and the people.
Infact, I didn't know there were free people of color and slavery at the same time until I read this American Girl series.
I enjoyed the start of Marie-Grace and Cecile's friendship and that they supported each other and their community during the Yellow Fever Epedimic. I missed the connection the girls had in the first two books especially as I read the sixth book. I didn't feel their connection as I did in books 1 and 2. The ending also left me a little melancholy.