Russell's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

M 50x66
Sep 25, 11

I haven't read much new fiction in the last few years, so a can't say with certainty that this novel deserved its Pulitzer prize. However, I don't imagine that there were many works that gave it much competition. This is one of the most inventive and engaging new novels that I've read in recent years. On the surface, Egan's subject matter (late seventies punk rock era high school graduates from San Francisco live out their lives and, in some cases, re-unite in middle age) isn't something that I would normally gravitate toward. But she is so create in her approach to telling the story that it seems she could have made almost any subject matter interesting.

Although I found the setting of the final scenes of the novel to be unnecessarily cynical, I still felt moved by Egan's treatment of her characters. In spite of their significant personal flaws, the author obviously has a great love for each and every one of them and seems to celebrate their very humanity.
Likeflag