Shazza Maddog's Reviews > Backup

Backup by Jim Butcher

Sep 25, 2011

Thomas Raith gets his own (albeit short) story under this title and he carries it off with aplomb. Running in at seventy pages (not counting art, of which I'll go on about a little later), Thomas hears through the grapevine (i.e., Lara, via Justine) that Harry, his little brother, has taken a job from the Stygian Sisterhood, whom the Venatori (and Thomas is part of that little club) have been fighting literally since time began.

Let it be said that the Stygian Sisterhood are not a cheery little group. Thomas recognizes Harry's 'client' immediately, saying, "I thought she was dead." He knows that Harry's in for a world of hurt and because he didn't pay attention to Lara's attempt at warning him, Harry might wind up dead. So, Thomas does what he can to help Harry, without Harry ever knowing - only to wind up cursed as a reward.

The plot works very well as a novella. I'm not sure I'd like it in longer form. Butcher's writing is a bit more choppy than I'm accustomed to (but the man is more accustomed to a very much longer format). Besides Justine, Thomas also gets to spend some time with Bob the skull and Mouse gets a nod, as well.

This is a quick, fun read. It doesn't particularly provide any new insight into Thomas' personality but it's definitely enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Backup.