Shazza Maddog's Reviews > Jagger, the Dog from Elsewhere

Jagger, the Dog from Elsewhere by Alexander Key

Sep 25, 2011

liked it
Read from July 21 to August 03, 2015

I love Alexander Key books. They present strangers coming to our world and having to deal with (a) a couple of people who are really nice and (b) a whole lotta people who are absolutely violent. In this case, the stranger is a giant telepathic dog, Jagger, who arrives in our world in the middle of hunting season. Jagger's wounded by a hunter and has to hide out in the forest on the mountains.

He manages to get in touch with a little girl, Nan, who can speak to him. Her brother, Peter, can't, but he believes her in his own way and they both try to help Jagger. They wind up taking him to a friend of theirs, Rush, who is a Native American. He can at least get the gist of what Jagger's trying to tell him, and they realize there's something nasty on the mountains, something neither of them recognizes. But that's not the only problem - Nan and Peter's stepmother is planning to kill the kids to take control of the horse ranch they were left when their father died in an airplane crash.

Everything's wrapped up a little too easily at the end but this is a younger reader's book. Still, I was left wanting more. This doesn't seem as well-thought out as The Forgotten Door or the first Witch Mountain novel but it's enjoyable and Jagger is definitely a heroic protagonist. And what little kid wouldn't love a huge white dog who can talk to them via telepathy?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jagger, the Dog from Elsewhere.

07/21/2015 marked as: currently-reading