Marquetta (LoveToReadForFun)'s Reviews > Belong to Me

Belong to Me by Shayla Black

Oct 11, 11

Read from October 03 to 08, 2011

Belong to Me is the first book I've read by Shayla Black. I've heard of this series from numerous friends and had a pretty good idea as to what to expect when I started reading this book.

Belong to Me is a very sexy, very hot and steamy read. Ms. Black knows how to write a steamy sex scene. I loved that we were privy to the D/s relationship from start to finish. Tara and Logan's relationship starts off rocky and really is rocky throughout most of the book. She doesn't trust him since he broke her heart at the sweet age of 16. Twelve years later and Logan ends up being the Dom who has to train her as a sub so that she can go undercover to break up a sex ring. The one thing that bothered me throughout the book is the fact that Tara still carried the hurt of Logan dumping her. Granted, he was her first love but I would think that after 12 years, some of that anger would have faded. Second, they were only together for 3 months. That's a pretty intense relationship for a short period of time.

Logan is an experienced Dom and knows what he's doing. A Navy SEAL who is currently on leave, he spends his time in his dungeon. But Logan has never gotten over his "Cherry" - Tara. When he sees her in the BDSM club, he can't believe his eyes. And when he is assigned to train her as a sub, Logan sees this as an opportunity to get Tara back. Logan has never stopped loving Tara and wants her to understand his motives behind the break-up. I liked that Logan's feelings for Tara are so intense that he got several tattoos in her honor but I found the fact that he hadn't had sex with a woman in 5 years a little disturbing. Again, they were 16 when they broke up. Who still loves their high school sweetheart of all of 3 months after all that time?

I felt that the suspense aspect of the story was a little hokey and I figured out who the big baddie was in no time. I guess since this isn't a romantic suspense book, that aspect of the plot was meant to not be too complicated. There were parts that dragged, especially when Logan and Tara arrived at the BDSM resort. I felt a lot of those pages were just filler and could have been left out.

My first Shayla Black experience wasn't bad. I enjoyed the sex scenes. They were definitely sizzling, smoking hot. I couldn't connect with Logan and Tara. And there were a few times where I rolled my eyes at some of their scenes together. I did feel that after all her bolstering about protecting her heart and not falling for Logan again, when she finally fell, it was pretty quick.

If you're already a fan of the series, I'm sure you will enjoy this book. Belong to Me was okay for me. I may check out the next book in the series.

C-
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belong to Me.

10/04/2011 page 60
10/06/2011 page 106
27.0% "Brad is kinda douchey but I understand why he's pissed."
show 1 hidden update…