Wendi's Reviews > Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler

May 03, 08

Read in April, 2008

If you are a self-confessed Jane Austen addict, there are things you should just inherently know.

#1 Women have no rights, no freedom and are often seen as a trophy, baby maker, and house keeper. If you read Jane Austen you would know that. You wouldn't walk into a Jane Austen era household and start throwing fits about feminism no matter how much it's needed. Yes, we know that Lizzie Bennett was a strong willed woman who wanted to marry for love, but she also knew the era's decorum - what a woman did and didn't do, and what a woman could get away with.

#2 You would know that as a woman everything you did was on display for the entire city, country, town, etc. So you wouldn't go traipsing off to the city park by yourself and meet a man under your status no matter how stodgy that would be.

These were my biggest problems with this book. The protagonist just had no clue how to behave in Jane Austen's England. For all her talk about how she was so addicted to Jane Austen novels she had absolutely no clue as to how to act or even speak when she transferred to the Regency England. Stupid, big flaw in a book title Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict.

The cool thing about this book is that we get a peek at just how frustrating and dirty it was to live back then. How body odor is the norm as is dirty teeth. How women really had no freedoms at all. That stuff was interesting, the historical stuff. Jane Austen never talked about Lizzie Bennett having to take a shower or use a bed pan or how the doctors would most likely have used leeches to bleed Jane Bennett when she took ill at her beloved's home.

This book is purely brain candy. Something you would read sitting at the pool. Get it from the library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new) - rated it 1 star

Kate Copeseeley I completely agree with what you said regarding the main character. This book has a misleading title -it leads you to believe that the protagonist has even an inkling of what Jane Austen's England is like. It's one thing to not understand about chamber pots and body odor. However, the fact that she couldn't seem to grasp the social morays that are a large part of Jane Austen's books tells me she is no Austen addict.

Wendi Exactly!

It was an interesting story but not what I thought at all.