Sergio Negrón's Reviews > Rabbit Redux

Rabbit Redux by John Updike

Sep 25, 2011

liked it
Read on September 25, 2011

Also listened to Arthur Morrey's audiobook version. Performed as well as the last one, this book is just as frustrating: Rabbit is as annoying as ever, full of self-pity and inertia, left by his wife, and a few dozen pounds overweight. This book, I guess, could be considered an overly explicit "political" novel. Explicit in that it jumps into each of the controversial topics of the times (70s), without any sort of subtlety: from race relations, to Vietnam, to free love. It can get a little too obvious, and tiresome, but by that point, i think, you already, unfortunately, love the characters enough to see them through it.

in my opinion, i don't find the "politics" of the novel all that annoying, but most people disagree. i actually find it an interesting experiment: take growing characters and plop them into uncomfortabel situations, and see how they react.

there are scenes in this book that made it worth it, for me. and, it feels human, terribly so. that, for me, marks a great piece of writing.

[that being said, i'm going to avoid giving my opinions on representational issues that annoyed me here and there].

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rabbit Redux.