Lauren's Reviews > The Broker

The Broker by John Grisham

Sep 29, 11

Read from September 25 to 28, 2011

As far as John Grisham books go, this one made me say 'meh'. Grisham's books aren't incredibly fast-pace as far as crime books go, but they definitely go by easier than this. The sad part is that there was so much promise to his idea too: a man is pardoned and must flee the country, hidden by the CIA, to stay alive.

Grisham had the escape done well but than he got too focused on the destination: Bologna, Italy. And yes, I have never heard of it before this book either. HE got so focused on showing his readers this great town that he forgot that reading about a slow, unknown city in Italy can get really boring.

Bologna sounds like a cool city too, but when the reader's learning about a fascinating person like Joel Backman('the broker'), the last thing they'd want to know is about all the sites and great restaurants in a city they've never heard of. I bet if I'd been there I would of loved the book, just like after going to San Francisco, all movies I saw with San Francisco in them became that much better. I expected better if Grisham than this- I could've sworn he was paid to advertise for the city or something.

So yeah, okay book over all, but clearly not Grisham's finest (that's A Time to Kill).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broker.