Jendimmick's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Sep 25, 11

Read in September, 2011

Welcome to Prentisstown, a village on a far off planet settled by those fleeing from a scarred Earth in search of a simpler life. The Mayor preaches fire and brimstone from the pulpit, there are no children under the age of 13 in the village, and there are no women. Oh, and it’s loud. So loud that the village’s youngest member, Todd, seeks refuge in the swamp with his annoyingly loyal dog Manchee. But even Manchee is noisy, his thoughts, like those of all of the men of the village, are broadcast to the world nonstop. Manchee’s thoughts are exactly what you would imagine if a dog could talk (“Todd, hungry?”), and are endearing. The thoughts of the other men of the village, however, are disturbing and relentlessly unfiltered. This is what happened when they landed on the planet: men’s thoughts were laid bare, and the women all died. It’s no wonder Todd needs a respite. The silence of the swamp is enticing, but what Todd finds there rocks his world and causes him to question everything he has ever been told about his past. It also causes him to flee, with the Mayor and his posse in hot pursuit, hoping to overtake Todd before he reaches his thirteenth birthday and becomes a man. Let the trilogy begin!

If you loved The Hunger Games, and hunger for more fast-paced, disturbing, dystopic story telling, then this is the next trilogy for you. Be forewarned, however, you have to read all three books in the Chaos Walking trilogy to find out what happens to Todd and Manchee…and Violet.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Tahleen I love this series. Glad you did too!

Jendimmick Patrick Ness has a new book out--starred review from School Library Journal, I can't wait to read it! A Monster Calls.

Tahleen I actually just reviewed that one on my blog! Do you want to borrow my copy? It's an ARC but I think it's pretty close to what the finished copy looks like.

Jendimmick So jealous! Thanks for the offer, but I think that connecting personally might be difficult (not at Simmons anymore--graduated this summer). Trying to buy it for our library (Newton South HS)

Tahleen I can just mail it to you--if you want, you can keep it. DM me your address.

Jendimmick That would be so awesome! Actually, I have to be at Simmons for a Career Panel for the school library program on 11/2. Maybe you could put it in your mail folder and I could pick it up there? I hate to put you through the trouble and expense of mailing...

Tahleen Okay! I'll leave it in my folder on Tuesday or Thursday. Enjoy!

Jendimmick Thanks!!