Al's Reviews > I'm Not an Alcoholic, I'm Just European!: Living in Spain, Adventuring Through Europe

I'm Not an Alcoholic, I'm Just European! by Jamie C Wakefield

Sep 25, 11

bookshelves: kindle, read-2011

"I’m not an Alcoholic …" gives a firsthand account of Wakefield’s experiences adapting to a new country and culture, spiced with a real life romance as a secondary storyline. He includes the facts (where, what, how) and plenty about the logistical nightmares involved in making something like this work, but also gives a sense of how he felt and what it was like to adapt to his new surroundings. Wakefield does a good job of contrasting life in his native state of Vermont with that in Spain and the other European countries he visits. Through the entire experience, Wakefield’s sense of humor shines through, as you learn about bullfighting, nocturnal Spaniards, and many other things, including the reason for the book’s title.

One minor nit I have to pick is that a few times the author explains a subject that he has already discussed earlier in the book. For example, he mentions multiple times the habit Spanish waiters have of not bringing you your bill until requested, with an explanation of the reason for this.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. **

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Not an Alcoholic, I'm Just European!.