Pam's Reviews > When Gods Die

When Gods Die by C.S. Harris

Nov 22, 11

bookshelves: historical, mystery, suspense, series
Read from September 23 to 28, 2011

I don't read a lot of historical novels, especially those set in the regency period, but this mystery sounded interesting and I'm glad I gave it a try. It has a well thought out plot and a complex mystery involving enough twists and turns to make you dizzy. Then there's the long term scandalous romance between our titled hero Sebastian St. Cyr and his lover actress Kate, and his emotional attachment to his young servant, 'tiger' Tom, both totally inappropriate for the time in which the book is set...1811.

There are numerous secondary characters wandering in and out of the plot...some vital and other not, but all interesting and playing their own roles in moving the story forward. It's paced nicely...not at breakneck speed but at a steady pace, never getting bogged down in the time period details. That's not to say the book lacked details of the era, because that wouldn't be true. They were present in a manner that flowed and I was relieved to avoid most references to the part of Regency books that make me nuts...society parties of the ton.

I like Sebastian and his attitude that refused to be intimidated by those of a slightly higher station, that he questions the morals of his peers without thought and his determination to discover the murderer of Lady Guinevere. All these things together make for a character I enjoyed reading, and add in the mystery of his mother who disappeared when Sebastian was a child and you have more than enough to keep your interest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Gods Die.