Rae Gee's Reviews > Margrave Of The Marshes

Margrave Of The Marshes by John  Peel

Sep 25, 2011

Sadly, I only really came to know John Peel in the latter years of his life. I have vivid memories of being lulled to sleep by his dulcet tones, smiling at his dry humour as I feel into a slumber.

I'm not normally one for biographies, but when this was published, I HAD to get it. It will have you laughing and crying in equal measures and, if you're a fan of music in any shape or form, then this is a must read. John championed bands from a wide ranges of genres, helping millions of listeners to discover bands they would have never ordinarily have heard. Even in the latter parts of the book (which are written by his family. In true style, John left the book on a cliffhanger!) you can hear his voice.

Whether it's for the memories, the music or John, this is an all round great book. You'll never regret adding it to your book shelf!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Margrave Of The Marshes.

07/09/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Vermillion (new) - added it

Vermillion I've had this on my shelves for years and am finally getting around to reading it!

message 2: by Rae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rae Gee You'll love it! I remember how sad we were when he passed. This brings back a lot of happy memories of listening to him.

message 3: by Vermillion (new) - added it

Vermillion Indeed. I remember where I was when I heard he'd died - in HMV Salisbury (which no longer exists).

message 4: by Rae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rae Gee I remember we talked about it in the days that followed. Such a sad time. Read, and re-read, the book and remember the good times!

message 5: by Vermillion (new) - added it

Vermillion I will do. The nice thing is that when you read his words, you hear his voice as clear as if he was talking to you from the radio.