Brad's Reviews > Lunch Walks Among Us

Lunch Walks Among Us by Jim Benton

Nov 08, 11

bookshelves: about-imagination, bronte-milos-books, children, what-my-kids-are-reading
Recommended to Brad by: Milos & Brontë
Read on November 09, 2011, read count: 1

Brontë, my lovely seven year old, is a kooky girl.

From the time she was wee, she's been a talented artist, and her greatest influence, then and now, was Tim Burton. One of her greatest pictures, "The Dark Queen" will someday be a tattoo on my left thigh.

But that's not all ,,, Brontë loves Zombies (they scare the shit out of her, btu she loves them. in fact, putting on The Walking Dead, no matter when I put it on, is the flame that draws my little moth into the room. She can be asleep, and she'll still turn up. But she suffers for it later, even the tiny bit she catches -- as do I). Brontë loves anything that has to do with Frankenstein. Her favourite role in Hamlet (a role she is currently playing as we perform Stoppard's 15 Minute Hamlet) is Hamlet's Ghost. If it's supernatural, Brontë loves it with the same intensity she fears it, and she pursues it with passion.

Most of the little girls she knows look at her askance. They don't get her. Sometimes it makes her sad, but other times it makes her proud. I hope that the latter will always weigh heavier in her estimation, and I think that Jim Benton's Franny K. Stein books may tip the scales in that direction.

Franny, like her namesake, is a mad scientist. She makes lunch meat monsters, transformation potions, analyzes everythimg critically, rejects PB&J and Barbies, yet wants very badly to have friends, so badly that she tries to change her ways to achieve their love. In the end, in kid book style, she learns that being herself is enough, and that she can have friends, truer friends, by being true to herself. I don't know that I buy it, at least not entirely, but I see it impacting the way Brontë sees herself, and that impact is positive.

So that's good enough for me. Smart girls, quirky girls, strong girls rule! And kooky girls rule most of all. You do rule, Të. Maybe tonight we can make another cayenne pepper infused potion. As usual, I will be your test subject. I promise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lunch Walks Among Us.

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Hi,

Can you please tell me what format this is in? Is it a straight chapter book? Or does it include little comic strips, or notes, or anything?