Johnny's Reviews > Pike

Pike by Benjamin Whitmer

Sep 25, 2011

PIKE is the kind of book that when you've set it down after reading "The End", you want to grab the next person you see and force them read it. It's dark, but vulnerable. Violent, but human. Entertaining, but personal. This is a book that hopefully people will continue to discover for years to come.

Think of it as a backwoods GET CARTER. Not a revenge story per se, but a story of the driven badass looking for answers. Morals and personal codes are run through the ringer. Violence is doled out in destructive abundance. Yet there is a grounded personal story about the past and choices that can't be ignored.

This is not one of many modern crime novels that wallows in the violence that it depicts. Rather it accepts violence as a part of the world and shows it in all its shapes. Not glorifying it, but reporting it.

Not an extra word, this stream-lined novel has moments of poetry in its description. Whitmer has the ability to say a lot with very little. An author to look out for that deserves a far wider readership.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pike.

03/30/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob This has been on my list, Johnny. Thanks your as-always excellent review, I'll have to bump it up. Thanks!

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Johnny. Thanks for the review. I got no further than the words " backwoods Get Carter" before I was adding Pike to my " To Read " list