Maria's Reviews > Reese's Bride

Reese's Bride by Kat Martin

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read from September 25 to 26, 2011, read count: 1

Well written and about a period of history that I do not know well (1850's), there are several references to the Crimean War. Most of the story concerns a mother and her son reuniting with the father of that son, but there is a major subplot where Reese's best friend is first accused of treason and when exonerated decides to get married after a life-time of avoiding it. It is more complex than this, of course, and I enjoyed both plots, although I would have preferred the subplot to be a bit less separated from the main plot. Oddly, what fascinated me most were the descriptions of Reese trying to ride again and his self-imposed physical therapy. I felt a sense of rapport with Reese since I am training a five-year old gelding who doesn't want to be ridden and could empathize every time he came off. It is touches of reality like this that make a book come alive for the reader and Ms. Martin is very good at it. I'm waiting for the first book in the series to arrive, so I can catch up before going on to Rule's story. I don't like reading books out of order if I can help it, but somehow I missed Royal's Bride.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reese's Bride.