kb's Reviews > Hard Love

Hard Love by Ellen Wittlinger

Sep 30, 11

bookshelves: 2011-favorites
Read from September 25 to 27, 2011

Neuter meets Lesbian, becomes friends with her, and then falls in love with her. Can that get any more inneresting? I, being the sappy sap that I am, admit that I got the book in hopes that Lesbian turns Girl for Neuter-turned-Boy in a Happy-Ever-After ending. But of course, it's Ellen Wittlinger. I've only read one novel of hers in the past but I already know she's not that type of writer that aims to be all cute with his/her story. Yet, in spite of my need for fairy tales, I still thoroughly enjoy her books. This one was very easy to fall in love with, regardless of what its title says. Wittlinger weaved such a powerful story about different kinds of love - love for a person, love for a relationship, love for a passion, etc. etc. - in spite of telling it from the perspective of her young characters. It had just the right kind of profundity - the kind everybody can relate to, whatever his or her age, the right amount of heartache, and the right nudge of realization. A bit of cliche/redundancy to appreciate the use of passion for writing in stories, but I still liked how Wittlinger cleverly used zine-writing as the springboard, bridge, and destination(ish) for hers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Love.

Quotes kb Liked

Ellen Wittlinger
“It's a lie, you know, to pretend that nothing is important to you. It's hiding. Believe me, I know because I hid for a long time. But now I won't do it anymore. The truth is bioluminescent. I don't lie, and I don't waste time on people who do.”
Ellen Wittlinger, Hard Love