Holjo's Reviews > Coffee at Little Angels

Coffee at Little Angels by Nadine Rose Larter

Sep 25, 11

Read in September, 2011

Summary: Eight people are permanently connected to each other after growing up together in a small town. They have all gone their separate ways since high school, but have been brought together for a weekend after one of the eight dies in a hit and run car accident.

Now in their twenties, each of the friends has built a life. Some are happy, others are not. But what becomes painfully obvious is that there are many unresolved situations and feelings within the group. Being all together in the same place for the first time in a decade, all of the unresolved feelings finally come to the surface. As we follow each character through this sad time in their lives, we learn how important it is that they finally see the truth in each other. Closure comes from honesty, maturity, and a willingness to grow.

Review: I LOVED this book. It is insightful and captivating from the first chapter. Larter is truly a gifted writer. The depth of emotion and honesty from each unique character was outstanding. I felt like I was part of the group. I felt like I knew these people. I could not stop reading once I’d started.

The characters are emotionally raw from both the death of their friend and facing each other again after so many years. Some are angry, some are sad, and others are guilty over not feeling sad enough. In the end, they have all been touched by Philip’s death - and the weekend together - in different ways. A few have managed to make permanent changes in their lives in a few short days. But after going through this entire journey with the group, I still was not prepared for how the story ended. You’ll be surprised.

Keep in mind that the POV changes regularly in this book. We are reading this story from the POV of all eight friends, beginning and ending with the deceased. I know there are readers who don’t care for POV changes, so I felt this was important to mention. In my opinion, this style was perfect for this book. It would not have had the same impact if we didn’t have access to the inner workings of each character.

I highly recommend this book. I don’t have another book or series to compare it to, but I did think of a few movies. If you enjoy ensemble cast movies like Love Actually, St Elmo’s Fire, or The Groomsmen, then I’d bet you would love this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coffee at Little Angels.