♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme's Reviews > The Forbidden Room

The Forbidden Room by J.P. Barnaby

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: m-m, bdsm, free-read, gift, challenge-bdsm, challenge-erotic-sexy-series, menage, challenge-bdsm-a-z
Read in January, 2012 — I own a copy

Ethan, you delicious devilish Dom! Oh how I dream about you. Wow. I'm very impressed with this BDSM novel as it is very sweet and shows quite a bit of education. I wish all the BDSM communities were this way. Well, this is a fictional story so I can only dream and fantasize.

This story was just the right sweetness and tartness. Ethan is a complicated Dom who has his own demons to wrestle. We don't really know the full story about Ethan until close to 2/3 of the way through the story. This story was more than just a BDSM guide of what a new slave can expect. It was a story of friendship blossoming and turning into lovers. I loved the dynamic between Lexi, Ethan and Jayden. Yes, Kimberly, Jayden's twin is a little bit of a prude, but what do you expect from a midwestern girl? Seriously, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs. I know exactly how white bread it is and how any little deviance from their social norm is looked up as something disgusting or with great distrust. *shudder* I'm glad I no longer live there.

Back to the story, author Barnaby moved me. While I never cried or shed a tear while reading this book, I was pulled into the story hard. I was only going to read a couple of chapters. Next thing I know, I'm devouring the book and my chores are left undone. This book is well written with a great plot as well as complex three dimensional characters. Their relationships were believable. Better yet, the BDSM scenes were hot and so well done. Not a single misstep. I'm very impressed. This is the first 5 star rating I've given so far in 2012. True it is early, but I've already read over a dozen books and this one is the very best. I'm now shamelessly going to start the next book even though I have work to do and other books that I really should be completing first. The bar is now set for other books. It's pretty high. I have a feeling there will be less 5 stars this year than last. I highly recommend this book to BDSM readers who enjoy sexual expression in all its forms.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forbidden Room.

Comments (showing 1-12)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Annie *Perky Monkey-Buns* This is one of my favorite BDSM novels. :)

Dawnlxix This is one of my favorite BDSM books too. The reason why the scenes are so believable is because the author has indicated that she's been involved in the BDSM world and knows of what she speaks.

♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme Dawnlxix wrote: "This is one of my favorite BDSM books too. The reason why the scenes are so believable is because the author has indicated that she's been involved in the BDSM world and knows of what she speaks."

I totally agree. I've had a few interactions with this author and it's pretty apparent she's also in the lifestyle. ^_^

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) did you know this was pulled to publish from fanfiction?

message 8: by Dawnlxix (last edited Jul 09, 2012 03:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawnlxix I ♥ Bookie Nookie wrote: "did you know this was pulled to publish from fanfiction?"

Yes, in fact, I originally discovered this author when she was writing fanfiction and read The Forbidden Room and the sequel, A House of Cards, as fanfiction. I wound up buying kindle versions of both when it was published as well as a paperback copy of TFR because I liked the story so much. The author completed both books, plus various outtakes before she pulled for publication. Anyone who was reading it for free had ample time to finish or download the chapters before it was pulled.

I couldn't care less about the provenance of the characters- the story itself is completely original.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) I am not opposed to FF, but BA and I have had conversations about FF in the past and I just wondered if she was aware that is where it originated. I read it quite a while ago and loved it...4 stars. I was sort of oblivious to this mysterious world of FF up until about a year ago...

Dawnlxix I ♥ Bookie Nookie wrote: "I am not opposed to FF, but BA and I have had conversations about FF in the past and I just wondered if she was aware that is where it originated. I read it quite a while ago and loved it...4 star..."

Sorry if I sounded defensive, but I've had a lot of discussions with people who are completely opposed to authors publishing their fanfiction as original works. My feeling is that they do a considerable amount of work writing their stories, even if they have borrowed characterizations from someone else, and I have no problem with a fanfiction author profiting from their hard work if their stories can find an audience who wants to purchase and read them. I only have a problem if an author steals from an original work and barely changes the plot at all. Most of the Twific I've read has been all human/slash, so obviously almost everything is changed from the original source material.

I wasn't sure if you were replying to me or not, so I'm sorry if I butted in.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) No, I didn't think you were butting in. I think FF is a strange, but innovative concept: take something made by someone else and mold it to your own specifications. That is like all great ideas in my opinion - take something and make it better. Genius!

I generally stay out of the FF discussions because they get so crazy out of control... it is just too much for me :-)

Dawnlxix Yep, it's a good policy to avoid discussions of religion, politics, and fanfiction/fandoms if you want to have civil conversations ;-)

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) Dawnlxix wrote: "Yep, it's a good policy to avoid discussions of religion, politics, and fanfiction/fandoms if you want to have civil conversations ;-)"

lol...my sentiments exactly :-)

♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme I ♥ Bookie Nookie wrote: "did you know this was pulled to publish from fanfiction?"

Yup, the author contacted me about it. I let her know it was better I didn't know because I wouldn't have read it. I've read Twilight and I have to say, I don't see it in this story at all. So as far as I'm concerned, this was an inspired story, not a fan fiction.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) yeah, i didn't see it at all either :-)