Victoria's Reviews > Hollow City

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

Apr 24, 14

Read from February 23 to March 05, 2014

I don't always continue series when I gave the first book in them only three stars, but the premise and characters of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (not to mention the vintage photo bonus) were just too odd and original to let go of. Even though I felt the first installment was kind of plodding and lackluster for such a fantastic concept, I wanted to give it a second chance, and I ended up being glad I did.

Hollow City picks up right where the first novel left off, with the group of peculiars alone on the sea, having narrowly escaped the destruction of the time loop where they were living with their guardian Miss Peregrine. Now they are being hunted by the clever and vicious wights and their hollowgast servants, who have decided to launch an all-out assault on every peculiar sanctuary. They've even locked Miss Peregrine in her bird form, where she is unable to help. Led by Jacob, who is from the present and has the rare ability to sense, see, and kill hollowgasts, the children strike out looking for anyone who can give them shelter and help them return Miss Peregrine to normal.

Lots of new characters and concepts are introduced this time around, and you get to know the existing characters much better; I think part of what made this book better than its predecessor was the movement, conflict, and different situations the children find themselves in, rather than being stuck in a single setting. The first book also had a lot of exposition; there's a lot less here now that all the character introductions, concepts, and history are out of the way. The development and sense of danger and pressure is also a lot more pronounced most of the time.

Technically 3.5 would be a more accurate star count - I found Hollow City to be overall more engaging and attention-grabbing than the first book, and by its end I realized I was actually really enjoying it. It wasn't quite enough of a leap to merit the full 4 stars, but if you were kind of on the cusp with the first book, as I was, you may want to give this one a try. It got me back into the story and characters enough to want to give the third book a shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hollow City.

02/23 marked as: currently-reading