Petra Eggs's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Sep 25, 2011

bookshelves: biography-true-story, reviewed
Read from September 25 to 30, 2011

Part of my reading of war books and memoirs, this one enlightened to me as to why the Japanese were so reviled by Americans. Fit partners for Hitler indeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.

02/20/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-20)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 20: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Derus Have you read Iris Chang's "The Rape of Nanking" yet? I had to put it down for days at a time because it made me ill, but it was very enlightening.

Gayle Because I'm so interested in that era of history, I miss no opportunity to talk to any WWII veteran that I meet, and the ones who fought in the Pacific are almost always much more bitter--even now more than 60 years after the war. Until I read this, I always wondered why. Now I understand.

Petra Eggs If the Germans and Japanese had won the war, this world would be a truly horrible place run by brutality and people who either gloried in it or whose feelings of superiority would justify it. 'Charity' would be some kind of underground movement conducted in great fear.

Gayle I have that opinion of the American Civil War as well. No one can be as cruel with their racism than American southerners!

Probably going to get a lot of flake for that statement. (;

Barbara Exactly what I was planning to say. Excellent book!

message 15: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy Richard wrote: "Have you read Iris Chang's "The Rape of Nanking" yet? I had to put it down for days at a time because it made me ill, but it was very enlightening."

Ditto what you said, Richard. I read The Rape of Nanking last year and found it to be the most enlightening book about Japan and war ever.

message 14: by Petra Eggs (last edited Feb 28, 2013 05:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petra Eggs http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... This is an unusual review of the Rape of Nanking by a Japanese man with an interesting discussion following. I listened to it as an abridged audio book, I don't think I wrote it up here. I agree that it was enlightening, and horrific. The Japanese in many ways for me remain an enigma.

I like how book conversations can go on for years, like this one.

message 13: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Derus That *is* interesting, thanks!

message 12: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I thought the 2009 film "John Rabe" was a pretty well done portrayal of the Nanking occupation.

Gayle Miriam wrote: "I thought the 2009 film "John Rabe" was a pretty well done portrayal of the Nanking occupation."

Thanks for the info regarding the movie, Miriam. Since I don't keep up with contemporary movies, I missed that one. I'm reading Rape of Nanking at the moment, so I've put "John Rabe" in my Netflix list; should complement each other.

Carrie Habib If you like fiction check out Molakai by Alan Brennert and Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. Each offers a different perspective on WW2, on European and one Pacific Theater.

Petra Eggs thanks for the suggestions, I know all the books and moloka'i does appeal somewhat, but the guernsey book is a bit light for me.

Petra Eggs Does anyone know if the movie lives up to the book?

Chris Have not seen it. But it is supposed to be faithful.

Petra Eggs I wonder. Hollywood is usually more concerned about presenting the star than presenting the story as it was written. Money rather than authenticity is the driving force.

Chris Well, the only star really connected to the film is Jolie and she directed. The other actors aren't really big in the US. I think the Japanese actor is the most famous, but more so in Japan than anywhere else. I took it as a good sign that the Japanese were a tad miffed at the movie.

message 4: by Petra Eggs (last edited Jan 05, 2016 07:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petra Eggs Japanese miffed, lol. Well considering they were hand-in-hand with the Nazis in WWII I would imagine any portrayal of themselves from that era would be likely to cause upset.

message 3: by Duane (new)

Duane I saw the movie and it was good, but frankly that is what's keeping me from reading the book. I don't think I could go through that again, especially knowing the book is probably even more detailed.

message 2: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Scary indeed. Just the thought that some of the most powerful countries on Earth could also be the most brutal...

Petra Eggs Joseph wrote: "Scary indeed. Just the thought that some of the most powerful countries on Earth could also be the most brutal..."

They were. Not now though. There are others, without any but the power of brutality are doing just that.