Ms Bubbles SockieP's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Oct 07, 11

bookshelves: biography-true-story
Read from September 25 to 30, 2011

Part of my reading of war books and memoirs, this one enlightened to me as to why the Japanese were so reviled by Americans. Fit partners for Hitler indeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Have you read Iris Chang's "The Rape of Nanking" yet? I had to put it down for days at a time because it made me ill, but it was very enlightening.

Gayle Because I'm so interested in that era of history, I miss no opportunity to talk to any WWII veteran that I meet, and the ones who fought in the Pacific are almost always much more bitter--even now more than 60 years after the war. Until I read this, I always wondered why. Now I understand.

Ms Bubbles SockieP If the Germans and Japanese had won the war, this world would be a truly horrible place run by brutality and people who either gloried in it or whose feelings of superiority would justify it. 'Charity' would be some kind of underground movement conducted in great fear.

Gayle I have that opinion of the American Civil War as well. No one can be as cruel with their racism than American southerners!

Probably going to get a lot of flake for that statement. (;

Barbara Exactly what I was planning to say. Excellent book!

Judy Richard wrote: "Have you read Iris Chang's "The Rape of Nanking" yet? I had to put it down for days at a time because it made me ill, but it was very enlightening."

Ditto what you said, Richard. I read The Rape of Nanking last year and found it to be the most enlightening book about Japan and war ever.

message 7: by Ms Bubbles SockieP (last edited Feb 28, 2013 05:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ms Bubbles SockieP http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... This is an unusual review of the Rape of Nanking by a Japanese man with an interesting discussion following. I listened to it as an abridged audio book, I don't think I wrote it up here. I agree that it was enlightening, and horrific. The Japanese in many ways for me remain an enigma.

I like how book conversations can go on for years, like this one.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways That *is* interesting, thanks!

message 9: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I thought the 2009 film "John Rabe" was a pretty well done portrayal of the Nanking occupation.

Gayle Miriam wrote: "I thought the 2009 film "John Rabe" was a pretty well done portrayal of the Nanking occupation."

Thanks for the info regarding the movie, Miriam. Since I don't keep up with contemporary movies, I missed that one. I'm reading Rape of Nanking at the moment, so I've put "John Rabe" in my Netflix list; should complement each other.