Petra X's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

May 05, 15

bookshelves: biography-true-story, reviewed
Read from September 25 to 30, 2011

Part of my reading of war books and memoirs, this one enlightened to me as to why the Japanese were so reviled by Americans. Fit partners for Hitler indeed.
44 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Have you read Iris Chang's "The Rape of Nanking" yet? I had to put it down for days at a time because it made me ill, but it was very enlightening.

Gayle Because I'm so interested in that era of history, I miss no opportunity to talk to any WWII veteran that I meet, and the ones who fought in the Pacific are almost always much more bitter--even now more than 60 years after the war. Until I read this, I always wondered why. Now I understand.

Petra X If the Germans and Japanese had won the war, this world would be a truly horrible place run by brutality and people who either gloried in it or whose feelings of superiority would justify it. 'Charity' would be some kind of underground movement conducted in great fear.

Gayle I have that opinion of the American Civil War as well. No one can be as cruel with their racism than American southerners!

Probably going to get a lot of flake for that statement. (;

Barbara Exactly what I was planning to say. Excellent book!

Judy Richard wrote: "Have you read Iris Chang's "The Rape of Nanking" yet? I had to put it down for days at a time because it made me ill, but it was very enlightening."

Ditto what you said, Richard. I read The Rape of Nanking last year and found it to be the most enlightening book about Japan and war ever.

message 7: by Petra X (last edited Feb 28, 2013 05:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petra X This is an unusual review of the Rape of Nanking by a Japanese man with an interesting discussion following. I listened to it as an abridged audio book, I don't think I wrote it up here. I agree that it was enlightening, and horrific. The Japanese in many ways for me remain an enigma.

I like how book conversations can go on for years, like this one.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways That *is* interesting, thanks!

message 9: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I thought the 2009 film "John Rabe" was a pretty well done portrayal of the Nanking occupation.

Gayle Miriam wrote: "I thought the 2009 film "John Rabe" was a pretty well done portrayal of the Nanking occupation."

Thanks for the info regarding the movie, Miriam. Since I don't keep up with contemporary movies, I missed that one. I'm reading Rape of Nanking at the moment, so I've put "John Rabe" in my Netflix list; should complement each other.

Carrie Habib If you like fiction check out Molakai by Alan Brennert and Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. Each offers a different perspective on WW2, on European and one Pacific Theater.

Petra X thanks for the suggestions, I know all the books and moloka'i does appeal somewhat, but the guernsey book is a bit light for me.

Petra X Does anyone know if the movie lives up to the book?

Chris Have not seen it. But it is supposed to be faithful.

Petra X I wonder. Hollywood is usually more concerned about presenting the star than presenting the story as it was written. Money rather than authenticity is the driving force.

Chris Well, the only star really connected to the film is Jolie and she directed. The other actors aren't really big in the US. I think the Japanese actor is the most famous, but more so in Japan than anywhere else. I took it as a good sign that the Japanese were a tad miffed at the movie.

Petra X Japanese miffed, lol. Well considering they were hand-in-hand with the Nazis in WWII I would imagine any portrayal of themselves from that era would be likely to cause upset.

I rate Angelina Jolie as one of the world's great self-promoters, quite in love with herself and her talents, philanthropy, face etc. thoroughly encouraged by the whole star machine that makes a fortune from her. I don't think she has much talent as an actress, not when you compare her with, say Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett et al. But I don't know what she is like as a director, maybe better.

message 18: by Duane (new)

Duane I saw the movie and it was good, but frankly that is what's keeping me from reading the book. I don't think I could go through that again, especially knowing the book is probably even more detailed.