Heather's Reviews > Stars

Sep 25, 2011

bookshelves: amazon-vine, baby-read-aloud, own
Recommended to Heather by: Sarah Fishburn
Read on September 27, 2011 — I own a copy

I’m a fan of Marla Frazee’s illustrations – All the World and especially Everywhere Babies – so I eagerly anticipated receiving Stars through Amazon Vine.

My initial impression is that while it’s not my favorite of the three Frazee books I’ve read, it’s a sweet addition to my daughters’ library (my oldest is almost two and a half), and I look forward to reading it often with them.

I like that the print in the book is handwriting – that, combined with the many pages of children on mostly white backgrounds, reminded me a little of Malika Fouchier’s Lala.

I also like that the characters have cute and distinctive outfits – little red cowboy boots, three pigtails, striped leggings. This might make the book seem slightly dated in years to come, but that’s not a bad thing.

I like the simple story and the idea – one simple subject, elaborated. It’s particularly good for my two-and-a-half year old, who is at the age where it’s still a wonder to her that the same word can have so many different meanings, and where she’s beginning to make obvious word associations and participate in conversations. (A few days after getting sick from being spun “so fast” on a swing, I told her I would cut her nails “so fast” – and she warned me, “I might throw up…”).

I love Frazee’s playful, swirly, rolling illustrations – some of my favorite pages in the book are the ones where her illustrations have the space and subject to be the most dynamic, like the strawberry-and-pumpkins page, where the horizon seems to follow the twist of the wind, and the dandelion pages, where the little tufts become a giant spiral in the sky. Maybe it’s a little greedy of me, but I wish there were more full- and two-page spreads in the book! Still, I can’t say there’s any skimping on illustrations.

If I could, I’d give it three-and-a-half stars; overall, I think it’s sweet and will lead to many fun discussions with my girls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stars.