Lady's Reviews > Revelation

Revelation by C.J. Sansom

Oct 04, 11

bookshelves: crime, historical
Read from September 25 to October 03, 2011

Aaaaaand Matthew Shardlake is back to shiver and shudder his way through another historical murder mystery set amidst the religiously turbulant reign of King Henry VIII (seriously, could C.J. Sansom make use of the word 'shudder' anymore if he tried?!). We're back in London this time -- the backdrop to my favourite book in the series, "Dark Fire" -- and just like in "Dark Fire" the tone is dark, dirty, dank, disturbing, and bleak.

However, one might even go far as to say this story was endlessly bleak, for there is very little to be happy about in this book.

The murders are just plain grisly -- this cannot be denied. Sometimes it felt a bit like I was reading a horror novel, and the mindless motives and horrific methods of the perpetrator did nothing to dissuade me from this. This was not neccessarily a bad thing, it was just quite a bit different from previous installments of the Shardlake series and not what I was expecting. One very very good thing about this book however, was that I did not even come close to guessing whodunnit -- which is always exciting!

One of the things I missed in Sovereign was the lack of Jack Barak being rugged, kickass and awesome due to his irritatingly couply relationship with Tamasin. Well, despite his more active role in Revelation, I was sorely disappointed that I came to feel extremely sorry for Tamasin, and incredibly frustrated and angry at Barak. Bah! Barak! How dare you treat your wife so badly?! Ah well, that's character development for you I suppose.

Better than "Sovereign" (and a thousand times better than "Dissolution"), but "Dark Fire" reigns supreme.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revelation.

09/25/2011 page 96