Lissa's Reviews > Crescendo

Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

Dec 19, 2011

bookshelves: 2011
Read from December 07 to 19, 2011

I’ve been thinking about names. Why Nora, of all names? Nora Grey. I get the Grey thing: it’s less obvious than Beautiful Graceful Bird (was once an ugly duckling) Bella Swan. Nora Grey – the woman of honour who is neither good (white) nor bad (black). Total traditional dichotomies, I know. Shades of grey abound. Because although Nora isn’t as empty-headed as your standard YA PNR heroine (Bella, Luce) she is still pretty stupid and driven by hormones. Nora. Nora Grey.

Well I’ve got to hand it to Fitzpatrick: as much as I hated the book, it did have some clever writing in it. Or maybe Nora was just so freaking stupid it was a great chore being inside her head, and I didn’t figure out who the villain was until about halfway (when (view spoiler)). But it was kind of crap, because once it was revealed who the person was and why they wanted to kill Nora, the other suspect lost all the motivation for hurting her and suddenly became a good guy. Much like in Hush, Hush!

In fact, this book was incredibly similar to Hush, Hush. There were only a few differences, two major ones being that Marcie was in it more and Patch didn’t sexually harass Nora all the time. In fact, I didn’t hate Patch as much in this novel, but that’s probably because he was hardly in it. I have no idea how someone can find an absent character hot or sexy, especially when all he does is show up when Nora needs him (view spoiler) and offer her rides home. In fact, Nora’s always got people offering her rides home. Don’t these kids know the price of petrol? So yeah, Patch was hardly in it – yay! – but that doesn’t mean Nora could think straight. (view spoiler)

In fact, this book’s plot was so similar to the first one that (view spoiler) I mean really. This book is almost exactly the same as the first. Two minor differences being that Nora gets a job that she goes to just once only to be humiliated by Marcie and then never goes to again, and she never once mentions needing her iron pills. In fact, her anaemia (the ‘inconvenient’ illness) isn’t a problem for her at all in this book and is never mentioned.

Oh, and I used my Post It flags to make a note every time I came across something pointless or stupid or shitty. I re-used the same flags I used in Hush, Hush. I ran out halfway through Crescendo and gave up using them even though there was plenty of shittiness in the second half of the book as well.
description

Look, my Hush, Hush review took me days to write because I used quotes from the text to rant about how shitty it was. I’m not going to do it this time because Crescendo is no better than Hush, Hush and I’m not dedicating a massive amount of my time to write an honest review of a book that had me laughing out loud at character’s inappropriate responses. I do however have a few things I’d love to mention.

(view spoiler)

Really, I’ve had enough of talking about this book. There is was too much wangsting. Nora breaks up with Patch to ‘save him’ and pines over him for the rest of the damned novel. She also thinks that the answer to all of her questions is to break in to people’s homes and rifle through their belongings. I don’t even like Patch. I don’t even like Nora. I don’t like one character in this novel, not one. I don’t like the plot (because it’s exactly the same as Hush, Hush), and although nothing is really wrong with the writing style I recognise the attempts at repeating symbols and motifs, which I have to give Fitzpatrick kudos for.

description

If you loved Hush, Hush (and if you did, why on earth are you on my one star review?) you’ll probably love Cresendo because it’s the exact same story. If you didn’t like Hush, Hush, don’t waste your time with this tripe. I won’t be reading Silence because the fact that books as stupid as this (that encourage rape culture, misogyny, sexism, slut shaming, and gaslighting) are published, marketed, and loved by hordes of screaming girls depresses me and apparently I get miserable after reading them.
33 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crescendo.

12/09/2011 page 67
16.0% "This book just gave me a massive paper cut. I think it read my Hush, Hush review and is trying to rebel."
12/11/2011 page 72
17.0% "Scott's mother needs a punch in the mouth. "Oh, your boyfriend I have a very sudden and unnatural interest in likes to play pool? He's probably a gang member. Watch out, Nora!" Come on, Fitzpatrick. I WANT to like this shit." 3 comments
12/14/2011 page 98
23.0% "I think this book just put me to sleep. Why the hell does Nora cancel on Scott? If she wants to find out about him, hang out with him, don't tail him you dumbass!" 2 comments
12/15/2011 page 120
28.0% "This is very painful. There's no logic to Nora's thoughts at all." 2 comments
12/17/2011 page 162
38.0% "This is so stupid yet strangely alluring. Nora's mood changes are giving me whiplash."

message 1: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Why would you do that?

message 2: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa Because I didn't hate Hush, Hush as much as I hated Fallen?

message 3: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Lissa wrote: "Because I didn't hate Hush, Hush as much as I hated Fallen?"

...oh holy christ. That one's gonna hurt, isn't it? Tell me, does it hurt more or less than Halo? I mean, surely nothing can be worse than Halo, right?

message 4: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa I haven't read Halo and I'm a bit terrified to. Fallen was worse than Marked, and Marked was worse than Hush, Hush.

message 5: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Lissa wrote: "I haven't read Halo and I'm a bit terrified to. Fallen was worse than Marked, and Marked was worse than Hush, Hush."

Yikes. Well, Halo is definitely worse than Marked. I've honestly never read a worse book. It's so bad, it's making me lose a lot of respect for the publishing industry.

message 6: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa Paige wrote: "I actually liked Fallen a little more than Hush, Hush. At least Fallen had Cam, who was marginally enjoyable. These books have Marcie, but she's so maligned and forced-flat all the time that I spen..."

I actually think my response is all psychological. I wasn't prepared for Fallen to suck so much (it was practically my introduction to YA PNR besides Twilight, which I don't hate) so I got really upset that it was so bad. I was very prepared for Hush Hush to suck (and it did) but it didn't send me into a rage and make me want to cry, unlike The Host...

message 7: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Even with warning, some of these books are...there are no words.

message 8: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa Here's the link to my Fallen review. I think it was one of the first reviews I wrote on Goodreads, so it's not as good as my more popular reviews.

It's still a stupid book.

message 9: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa Yep, Fallen is still worse than these books. At least Nora has the ovaries to stand up for herself, even if the entire world conspires around her. And Fitzpatrick's fallen angels are actually not good guys. Fallen just made no sense.

Janelle Stalder Lol the cat made me laugh. I liked both books, but I read reviews like this because they are hilarious! And you're so going to hate me, but I love Patch lol what does that say about me? Gawd...don't tell me, I don't want to know. As new besties you have to just support me no matter what lol Great review! I laughed, I cried, it was better than cats.

message 11: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa I can support you and think you're crazy at the same time.

Janelle Stalder lol that's cool, I can accept that.

message 13: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa I'm dying to know why you love Patch, because I don't find anything about him attractive.

Janelle Stalder Lol ppffff well now I just feel silly, because you all think he's a rapist. I don't know why I like him...to be honest he was one of my favs out of the YA boys. I think I just like that he's not falling all over himself for the main character. He's kind of stand-offish and makes it a bit more interesting. No?Yes? We don't agree? Fine...I'm just sick of other guys, such as Daniel from Fallen, who are always crying over their love for the girl. Patch doesn't seem like that, and he's a bit creepy. lol why is that attractive? Not sure...

message 15: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Janelle wrote: "Lol ppffff well now I just feel silly, because you all think he's a rapist. I don't know why I like him...to be honest he was one of my favs out of the YA boys. I think I just like that he's not fa..."

I can kinda see that, actually. Well, maybe not the creepy part, but the rest of it.

Janelle Stalder Phew! Thank you Beth! I don't feel so crazy anymore.lol

message 17: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa Oh, so you like him because he's got more balls than all the other YA males? Yeah, I can see that. He is kind of heavy on the masculine traits and he's not dependant on Nora and Nora's well-being like other YA males are dependant on their love.

I still hate him.

message 18: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Lissa wrote: "Oh, so you like him because he's got more balls than all the other YA males? Yeah, I can see that. He is kind of heavy on the masculine traits and he's not dependant on Nora and Nora's well-being l..."

But imagine, Lissa, if he was also a whiny emo drip like Edward.

Actually, don't. *shudder* I wouldn't wish that on you.

message 19: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa Yeesh. Don't give me nightmares.

Janelle Stalder Yes, I like Patch's balls

message 21: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Chutzpa. That's a little less...suggestive.

Janelle Stalder Geeze..I meant like he has more balls than other boys in YA novels, and yes I like that about him. Minds out of the gutter!

message 23: by Kaia (new)

Kaia It's Yiddish for "balls", but it has implications of audacity or effrontery.

Janelle Stalder Oh man, I'm using that all the time now. Thank you for adding to my vocab.

Janelle Stalder I know I know, shocking! I say Chutzpa to that!

message 26: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa I didn't say anything :P

But I think you're right. Probably part of Patch's un-feeling means that he could beat the crap out of gentle sweet boys that I like (A LOT), like Sam from Shiver.

Janelle Stalder I haven't read Shiver...should I?

message 28: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Adam 'Archer' wrote: "Beth wrote: "It's Yiddish for "balls", but it has implications of audacity or effrontery."

I know... I was being funny..."

You'd hardly be the first person I met to not know Yiddish. Most people don't grow up with quite so much of it.

We also have some words that I'm pretty sure aren't Yiddish so much as Jewisms or something.

message 29: by Lissa (last edited Dec 20, 2011 11:06AM) (new) - added it

Lissa Janelle wrote: "I haven't read Shiver...should I?"

I loved it but I can see the similarities in Sam and Grace's relationship and the long-distance relationship I was in for quite a few years, so I had a HUGE emotional connection to the book. I think Sam is incredibly sweet (and quite mature, unlike a lot of 'real' teen boys)) and Grace is incredibly lonely and looking for someone to love her. I don't hate Grace like I do other YA PNR heroines and Sam is one of the few boys I don't hate with a passion.

I said all that because a lot of my friends don't like Shiver but I loved it, because of enormous emotional identification. I can't wait to re-read it, actually!

Janelle Stalder I'll add it to my to-read list and let you know what I think!

Well I know some Yiddish now! Thank you Miss Beth!lol My dad is swiss and really it's just too much effort to say a swiss word when you can say english. Easier on the throat too.

message 31: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Janelle wrote: "I'll add it to my to-read list and let you know what I think!

English is easier on the throat than most Yiddish, too. Actually saying chutzpa requires one to sound a bit like they're trying to hock up a hairball.

message 32: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa LOL. Hey LC I totes respect your opinion but I just can't agree. Maybe it's because I don't totally hate Twilight but there is no way in my world that Hush, Hush is better than Twilight. Edward is a perfect gentleman in comparison to Patch.

message 33: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Edward is a perfect gentleman in comparison to Patch.

Except for that whole oiling the hinges of her window in order to sneak into her room every night...

message 34: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Better than sexually harassing her all the while lol

Philosophical Literary Question: Can a 107-year-old walking rape metaphor ever not be sexually harassing someone? I mean, looking at this from a perspective of proper symbolism, and all.

message 35: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Adam 'Archer' wrote: "Yes he can. Sometimes he's throwing her around like a rag doll"

Wait, what? I don't remember that.

message 36: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Adam 'Archer' wrote: "Her birthday party. He pushed her out of the way of someone cause she had a paper cut or some shit but she flew through a load of glasses or something"

Ah, right. And then he broke up with her for *gasp* her own good! >.< Fucking stupid books.

message 37: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa But then he called her stupid for believing his lie that he didn't love her any more.

What a douche.

I still hate Patch more.

message 38: by shady (new) - rated it 1 star

shady "What I don’t understand is why this book is called Crescendo. Does Fitzpatrick even know what it means? It means "progressively louder'. All that is progressively louder in this book is Nora's whining!"

<3 Spot on, Lissa. My thoughts exactly.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Luce isnt as stupid as Nora--I dont think that's possible. I mean, Nora is a complete and utter moron. First she falls in love with a creeper like patch. Then, she tells Patch to go away and you disgust me blah blah blah dont ever talk to me again. He does what she says, and she freaks out and starts freaking crying about "oh, patch is ignoring me, why would he do that? where ever did he get the idea to leave me alone?" Luce might have done that a LITTLE in Torment, but not one thousandth of how much Nora does in this one freaking book.

message 40: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa LOL Jamie! I don't particularly agree, but thank you very much for dropping by with your opinion! I think Daniel isn't as bad as Patch but he's still a complete asshole.