Zuzka's Reviews > The Book With No Name

The Book With No Name by Anonymous

Nov 09, 13

Recommended for: everyone who loves vampires, werewolves, gore, sarcastic humour
Read in December, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Welcome to Santa Mondega!
When I began to read this book I felt like Alice in Wonderland... Lots of characters appear; some die, some stay alive. But you get to know when they will die. The timelines can become confusing if you don't pay attention.
I thought at first that it would be some boring western story with some vampires and werewolves involved, since it's set in small city near the Mexican border, but it was not! Epic shoot-outs, fist fights; dark, sarcastic humour, swearing, badass main character.
The Bourbon Kid. A psycho with drinking and an anger-management problem! I felt immediate sympathy with the Bourbon Kid. He's not like any other character, unique, which I loved about him.
And there is comical relief among the blood-splatters, of course! Dante & Kacy, the corniest couple ever! Some might feel ambiguous about a couple being put into such book, but comic relief is needed after a gunfight or a not very pleasant murder, when you think about it.
And the King! Only an impersonator, but damn, Elvis as a hitman?! I was taken aback! Such a cool idea!
The pace of the book is pretty insane if you ask me! Not fast, but when you read about a shoot-out, you are dragged in! You hear the thundering of the shots, yelps of the victims, screams of fear emmitted by the cowardly bartender Sanchez. And you know when it's over, for you hear husky, raspy and gravelly 'Bartender, get me a bourbon and fill the glass!'
Kyle a Peto. Innocent monks who got spoiled by the outside world. Heh, anybody can be corrupted! ;)
The only negatives this book has are the confusing timelines and getting to know too many characters at once. But the most crucial one is that it leaves you with way too many questions, which is good, for you are 'forced' to read the sequel, The Eye of the Moon!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book With No Name.

09/08/2013 marked as: currently-reading