Taghrid's Reviews > What Happens in London

What Happens in London by Julia Quinn

Sep 25, 11

This is one of the best books I have read so far. I have to admit that the beginning wasn’t so much amusing as the middle and the end; however the story evolves to be one of the most romantic ones ever.
Lady Olivia Bevelstoke is the daughter of the Earl of Rudland. Olivia has never been in love although she has been proposed to by many men. As a new man moves into the neighborhood, rumors starts to spread around claiming that this man, Sir Harry Valentine, has murdered his fiancé. Intrigued by this news and having nothing else to do, Olivia takes it upon herself to spy on the man not knowing that he was aware of what she is doing. Sir Harry Valentine becomes annoyed with Olivia spying on him and decides to tease her about it. They finally meet at a party and they are not fond of each other: Olivia thinks Sir Harry is arrogant while he thinks that she is cold and unintelligent.
Sir Harry Valentine works for the War Office and he is ordered to follow a certain Russian Prince who might be helping Napoleon. The same Russian Prince is interested in Olivia which gives Harry an excuse to keep an eye on Olivia as well.
As the story continues, you can see the two of them starting to fall for each other. You will enjoy the wit and humor in their conversations and I honestly laughed out loud upon reading many of the passages.
I have to admit however that the beginning is a bit dull; all the talking about Sir Harry’s father being a drunk is not very amusing and does not add much to the story. I guess it was just an attempt to give us a background on Harry’s growing up.
The writing is just fantastic and the story is fun and romantic, I even re-read many of the passages over and over. A must-read book that will have you wanting a Sir Harry Valentine of your own.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happens in London.