Rhonda's Reviews > My Life in France

My Life in France by Julia Child

May 02, 2008

bookshelves: read-in-2008
Read in February, 2008

ooh i loved this book. Julia has way of writing that invites you in. It's like you are old friends talking about her memories. Some things I learned about Julia.
• She was tall (same as me) and had big feet (same size as me 12)
• She and her husband Paul never ended up having any kids although they tried for years.
• Julia moved to France after her and Paul were married since Paul worked for the US governent. He promoted the Us culture to the French. He worked all day and she learned the french language and to cook.
• Julia repeatedly recalled her first meal in Rouen of oysters, sole meunière, and fine wine as a culinary revelation. She described the experience once in The New York Times newspaper as "an opening up of the soul and spirit for me".
• Julia introduced French cuisine and cooking techniques to the American mainstream through her many cookbooks and television programs.
• She was quite funny and could win most people over.
• She and her friends would constantly talk about food and so they called themselves "foodies"
This book made me want to travel to France more than I already did. And I have made 4 french meals since reading it. :) 4 out of 5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life in France.

04/09 marked as: read