Jana (The Book Goddess)'s Reviews > Destiny's Fire

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: blog-reviewed, debut-author-2012, 2012-reads
Read on February 13, 2012

::: Also posted on: http://jana-thebookgoddess.blogspot.com/

Last month, if you told me that I would have read a steampunk novel and end up LOVING it, then I would have laughed maniacally at your face and tell you to f*** off. Hell, if you told me that yesterday, I would have.

Let me see. I'll start with why I'm a little *wary* of this. Do any of you remember the old cover? Yep. The one with the girl with the bad haircut and a head too big? With the super scary NOT hot guy? Yep. That's the one. (Here's the link if you can't remember) I've got the 'Don't judge a book by its cover' drilled in my head, but this, THIS. You just can't blame me. I'm afraid that cover turned me off a bit and dear God I admit I was one of the people that went a bit mad and sprouted off not very nice comments when it was revealed on The Story Siren. To tame the backlash, the publisher decided to redesign the cover (above) which is a million times better.

Secondly, I was so frigging worried that I would get so confused out of my mind about all these terms and words that steampunk normally uses. And yes, when I started Destiny's Fire, I was overwhelmed with all these new terms and stuff that my mind couldn't take it anymore and I actually had to write them down in a piece of paper to keep in track. I know. I'm sad. BUT. As you get more into the story, I found out that I don't actually need the list! Because Trisha's writing just drew me in and along the way, we do get some backstory and history so I said bye bye to my list.

I love the main character, Dez (Destiny) Harkly. She was strong, stubborn, selfish, yet she wanted to do things right. She was just overall a good person. And she wasn't annoying like the other heroines and female leads that I've encountered lately (I mean, HAVE YOU READ MY REVIEWS?). Sure, some of her actions were selfish and unjustified, but hey. No one's perfect. I love the whole cast - Dez, the triplets Jace, Lana and Nick, Reese (of course), her mum, and even her teacher Mr. Liam. They were all three-dimensional and had very likable personalities.

And you know what else I love? The love triangle. Halleluiah! Finally, I love triangle where both guys are good (in lack of better words) for her. We have Jace, her loyal and over-protective bestfriend and on the other, we have Reese (insert biggest squeeeee here) the hot brave red-eyed hottie who is just so bad I love him. At first, I was totally team Jace (I mean hell, with a name like that, how can I refuse?) then when we get to see more of Reese. OH I thought I died and gone to heaven. That boy is sex on legs.

This book was so unlike everything I've ever read before. There were times when I was like WHAT? and chocked on my drink when the ending thingy was revealed and we find out who her father is. I love everything about it - the unpredictable storyline, the gripping and nonstop action, fully-fleshed characters *coughhotboyscough* and an intense love triangle that would have you fanning yourself. I know I did.

This is one of the most underated books out this year (I think I need to call the hype monster for this one!) and possibly my favourite debut author 2012 book I've read so far. This is definitely one of my favourites ever. How's that? So yes. Please do read it now. And just because I'm so kind and it's VALENTINE'S DAY today, I think you lot deserve to have a peek at these two gorgeous hotties. Just promise me not to touch Reese - he's MINE. :P

(Go on the blog to view pictures: jana-thebookgoddess.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destiny's Fire.

02/13/2012 page 32
14.0% "THIS IS SO AMAZING. love the love triangle :P"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mimi Valentine Oh my gosh, I LOVE your review, Jana!! Everything you said was so spot on -- especially that it needs more hype, because it definitely deserves it!!! x) You made me want to go out and read this book all over again! :)

Jana (The Book Goddess) Thank you Mimi! I know, it's so underrated! I need to get some of my friends to read this! :D