Bettie☯'s Reviews > The Best Of Mrs Beeton's Easy Entertaining

Mar 06, 14

bookshelves: maybe
Read on September 30, 2011

** spoiler alert ** DEATH MATCH REVIEW ONLY

I had Mrs B around for lunch the other day for a natter, and to especially congratulate her on the amazing show she put on to oust Lev, the Tsar and the 'ickle Emperor (what were the chances of that!?). She earnestly hopes that none of their camp followers have developed a complex as a consequence of that fracas.

I offered Mrs Beeton a gin but she said that one of her previous patrons (and here Isabella mimicked putting two fingers down her throat) had turned her off that particular tipple, she opted for a rich Cabernet Sauvignon instead.

So this is how the conversation meandered on:

Bettie - One of your previous patrons??

Mrs B - Well yes, it's a long story so I'll give you just the gist. Whilst I was designing and setting tables, a contemporaneous female, Blavatsky by name, was busy turning them. How exciting is that!?

Helena showed me some of my previous and future incarnations, and must admit I was very chuffed indeed to find I had been as successful as Livia; that must have been the root of my interest in all things culinary.

Bettie - So given that you poisoned off Augustus AND War and Peace I presume you are planning to use the same tactics against Teh Poppins.

Mrs B - not necessarily. But anyway, enough of Death Match talk for the moment, that will be sapping my attention soon enough. However I DO want to tell you of my new recipe, which will be inserted as page 200:

BAKED SOLES.

320. INGREDIENTS.--2 soles,
1/4 lb. of butter,
egg,
and bread crumbs,
minced parsley,
1 glass of sherry for the cook,
lemon-juice;
cayenne and salt to taste.

_Mode_.--Clean and well wash the soles; dry them thoroughly in a cloth. Brush them over with egg, sprinkle with bread crumbs mixed with a little minced parsley, lay them in a large flat baking-dish, white side uppermost; or if it will not hold the two soles, they may each be laid on a dish by itself; but they must not be put one on the top of the other. Melt the butter, and pour it over the whole, and bake for 20 minutes. Take a portion of the gravy that flows from the sole, add the wine, lemon-juice, and seasoning, give it one boil, skim, pour it _under_ the soles, and serve.

_Time_.--20 minutes. _Average cost_, 1s. to 2s. per pair.
_Seasonable_ at any time.
_Sufficient_ for 4 or 5 persons.

Mrs B continues - You see that bit about but they must not be put one on top the other that is the same as saying DO NOT CROSS THE BEAMS.

Bettie - Sounds delicious. It IS lovely that we both, in our own way, are connected to Epsom Racecourse. That's the town where I was born; coincidences don't happen in ones do they!? My Auntie Dolly worked there in the kitchens and during race meetings they closed the road at Tattenham Corner so I couldn't get to school and all that was left to do was go to the fair and have my palm read by Gypsy Rose and ride the dodgems.

[Loud rap at the door]

Uh-oh..... In walks MP and friends

[image error]

MP's team tries for the penguin slap [image error]

which misses Isabella by a hair's breath so, Mary quickly calls in the pirates[image error], which Mrs B counters with a rather clever volley of projectile jellies

and finishes up by serving the sole...

Mary could later be seen crawling out of the canal sans culottes, a beaten woman

8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Of Mrs Beeton's Easy Entertaining.

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny Wonderfully insane! How can I not vote?

notgettingenough Wow, Betty. What you were able to come up with in about a minute (!)

message 3: by Bettie☯ (last edited Sep 30, 2011 04:24AM) (new) - added it

Bettie☯

Was worried there for a while; thought I would have to completely revamp as the scores were so close.

message 4: by Bettie☯ (new) - added it

Bettie☯ Bird Brian wrote: "Nicely done...I'll vote for it after the round closes!"

Thankee Brian, and you too Manny.
:O)