Courtney Williams's Reviews > Triplanetary

Jun 11, 15

it was ok
bookshelves: gord
Read from March 23 to May 30, 2015

My boyfriend recommended this book to me a while ago as it's one of his favourites. Thankfully he's not the sort of person who gets upset or offended when I don't share his opinions!

I really liked the premise of the book, particularly the concept of iron being so important to the alien species. However, the lack of character development really let it down. I honestly couldn't distinguish between a lot of the human characters (who were all white Americans and all but one male). I also strongly disliked the ending and the general macho feel. I know it's partly due to the time in which this book was written, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it! I actually enjoyed this book a lot more when my boyfriend read it aloud to me. I've found that action scenes in novels tend to be a bit disappointing and lacklustre, but read aloud they seem to take on a bit more excitement.

I'm sort of curious to read more of Doc Smith's books, partly because I haven't explored much early science fiction and partly because my boyfriend has an awful lot of them. I just won't be adding them to the top of my reading list. Maybe the audiobooks would be more enjoyable though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Triplanetary.

08/04/2014 marked as: on-the-shelf
03/24/2015 marked as: currently-reading
05/31/2015 marked as: read

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Winkler The singular quality that Smith brought is that he was an SF pioneer who paved the way for later, greater writers. He started his first series over 100 years ago. But I never found his writing interesting either; I suspect he tended to bow to editors' suggestions about saleability. SF was *extremely* disreputable at the time, so perhaps that was a natural tendency.

Courtney Williams Paul wrote: "The singular quality that Smith brought is that he was an SF pioneer who paved the way for later, greater writers. He started his first series over 100 years ago. But I never found his writing in..."

Thanks for the comment! What you say about saleability definitely makes sense.