David 's Reviews > Cultural Amnesia: Necessary Memories from History and the Arts

Cultural Amnesia by Clive James

Feb 06, 2016

bookshelves: challenging-ideas, modern-culture, history, philosophy, music, popular-culture, art, europe, modern-history, modern-usa, war, religion, science, culture, britain
Recommended for: art and culture lovers, students, hipsters, teachers,
Read from June 01 to August 01, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This huge book by Clive James is his tribute to many brilliant minds and ideas that shaped the culture of the 20th Century and beyond.
There are people who should be remembered not only for their brilliance, but their courage in the face of brutality. Many of the people included here were new to me, which shows my limited education I guess.
The trampling of genius and the oppression of creativity is one of the sad facts of life that still goes on today. The hundreds of millions of people interested in culture and learning can take heart in efforts like this book to explore the wonder of human potential.
There are so many concepts, art movements, personal details, facts and figures that this book can be a reference for cultural studies as well as those with a love of higher learning and humanities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cultural Amnesia.

02/06 marked as: read