Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

It’s so good to be back in Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress World and it’s been a while – probably almost a year since the last Cat and Bones story and that was just a novella. I had to spend a few moments reacquainting myself with the rules. Can the vamps go out in the sun – yes unless they’re newbies. Does a wooden stake kill them – no. Do they sparkle in the sunshine – nope!

It only took a few minutes with Vlad for it all to coming back but we’ll start with Leila.

After touching a live power cable, Leila has been left scarred and with unusual abilities – she can channel electricity and, with a single touch, she can telepathically read people – things that were, things, that are and some things that have not yet come to pass. (Just had to get in a LOTR quote there!). She works as a carnie with her partner Marty, a dwarf vampire. After an accidental encounter in the street, Leila garners some unwanted publicity by saving a passer-by’s life after seeing a vision of her murder.

Before she can say "Listen to them - the children of the night.” she is abducted by a gang of vamps hired by Vlad’s enemy in an attempt to coerce her into using her telepathic skills to locate him. She does and he can sense her instantly and they talk and he comes to her and what an entrance he makes - he explodes onto the scene like a Rock Star in a stadium. Be still my beating heart!

Vlad takes her under his protection and takes her to his castle and their relationship begins. Vlad has centuries of hurt buried beneath that sardonic exterior and, even though he cares for Leila, he says he can never love her but Leila is falling in love with him.

Vlad is very much the Vlad that we’ve known for several books – grimly mocking, stern, brusque, deadly and still in the impaling business if anyone crosses him. He rules his people with an iron fist but they respect him as well as fear him. Leila is a good partner for him – she’s fiercely loyal (something Vlad values above all else), brave and a little vulnerable. With her electric personality and Vlad’s fire-starting capabilities you’d expect their sex to be hot and they don’t disappoint, positively setting fire to the pages. Not quite the vaunted heights of Chapter 32 but almost!

There’s a great host of secondary vamps and I developed a great fondness for Maximus and I do hope he finds love soon – as Vlad points out, he’s muscular, virile and single. With Shrapnel and Marty, there’s plenty to flesh out a whole series.

Vlad’s enemies are closing in and there’s a very thrilling climax to the story when we get to see Vlad at his very most deadly – angered by the threat to Leila. After the big showdown, things are left very unresolved between Vlad and Leila and I think it pays to remember how we left Cat and Bones at the end of Halfway to the Grave and remember this is just the first of a series and that there is a long way to go yet – got to keep that sexual chemistry fizzing for the next one.

Nice but short cameo from Cat & Bones and Mencheres & Kira with Bones antagonising Vlad, as ever.

Vlad is described as resembling Aragorn in the novel but I think I found a vamp that better depicts him.

So, a great beginning to the series – 4 star paranormal romance

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

Quotes Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Liked

Jeaniene Frost
“You think my blood is the only tie between us?"[...] "This is our true tie. You're meant for me, and I will have you.”

Jeaniene Frost
“I’m the only authentic Vlad. Everyone else is merely an envious imitation.”
tags: vlad

Jeaniene Frost
“I told you once before,” I said, the words husky from remembrance. “Everyone holds their sins close to their skin.”
Fangs gleamed for an instant before Vlad bit into his wrist, pooling up two deep crimson holes.
“Then come,” he said, holding it out. “And taste mine.”

Jeaniene Frost
“I'm attracted to a lot of hot guys. If Chris Hemsworth were here, I'd light him up like a firecracker with how fast I'd jump on him.”

Jeaniene Frost
“No, I do my torturing in the dungeon like any other respectable castle owner,”

Jeaniene Frost
“Yes, but you are still only human.”

I laughed, the sound of it drowned out by the crunch of rocks as the mountain continued to shudder as though in the throes of birth pangs.

“So was Van Helsing, yet in every movie, he beat the vampire in the end. Never underestimate the power of humanity.”

06/25/2012
1.0% "Yay - it's finally locked and loaded on my Kindle!!

Work is inconvenient!" 11 comments
06/26/2012
43.0% "Why do I have to eat, sleep and work?? I would rather just read. I'm LOVING this and Vlad made an entrance like a rock star.

For Kells - Cat and Bones and Mencheres and Kira have just made a cameo." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leea (new) - added it

Leea I can't wait!!

Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Me neither Leaa but I have to go to evil fascist work!

Glamdring I'm reading it too! :)

Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews I am doing the audio book this weekend...woo hoo!!

Jill I have been wanting to read this one.
I didn't realise it was connected to the Cat and Bones series. I have only read the first two of that. Would reading this one make sense if I am not up to date with the other series.

message 6: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Dunellen I keep seeing the ad for that one. Normally it wouldn't appeal to me but who he is makes it sound a bit more interesting than a general vampire love story.

Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews I've read all the books in this series and this is the first in a new spinoff Night Huntress series - it's excellent Michael.

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Thanks for the update on the cameo, Becs! So glad you are enjoying the book, "angel"!

Keren I love this series. Can't get enough of Cat and Bones!
Vlad is such an interesting character and he is hilarious! The way he always bait Bones is priceless!

Rain ~miss kinky knickers~ Great review, Becs!
I'm still not sure about the PNR, though. Waiting for the right book to change my mind, I guess. :)

Karen To those not sure about PNR, you must read the Black Dagger Brotherhood! Then get back to us!!!

Angela Karen, you took the words right out of my mouth!!! BLACK DAGGER BROTHERHOOD would change anyone's mind!

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I agree with Karen, Rain. The BDB series is THE best PNR series. Ever!

Rain ~miss kinky knickers~ Kelly wrote: "I agree with Karen, Rain. The BDB series is THE best PNR series. Ever!"

You've convinced me. :)
I'll give it a try, and... well, we'll see. Thanks, ladies!

Angela Rain wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I agree with Karen, Rain. The BDB series is THE best PNR series. Ever!"

You've convinced me. :)
I'll give it a try, and... well, we'll see. Thanks, ladies!"

You won't be disappointed! Keep us posted!

Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Great review Becs....I am loving this book, only have an hour left to go.....Just past the shower scene.....so I thought I would take a little breather!! *wink, wink*

message 17: by Kelly (new)

Kelly @Rain, that's great! Will look for your updates. I love seeing the brothers through the eyes of someone new to the series.

@ Monique, you are hilarious!

and @ Becs, of course, great review! Love your LOTR quote and the vamp you picked as Vlad ! He's quite a hottie!

Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Thanks everyone. I loved this book and Rain you must try the Cat and Bones books too, starting with Halfway to the Grave. There's more humour in these than the BDB which are definitely leaders of the field and I'd love for you to read those to.

Kelly - that vamp is from Being Human and I was crazy in love with him.

Monique - I know what you are saying about that scene honey!!

Rain ~miss kinky knickers~ The famous boyfriend Bones, Becs? :)

Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Rain wrote: "The famous boyfriend Bones, Becs? :)
Well, since I've already decided to seriously consider PNR world, I'll have to meet him."

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Bones is mine!

message 22: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Becs wrote: "Thanks everyone. I loved this book and Rain you must try the Cat and Bones books too, starting with Halfway to the Grave. There's more humour in these than the BDB which are definitely leaders of..."

Being Human, Becs?

Rain ~miss kinky knickers~ Monique wrote: "Oh Rain.....a PNR virgin!!! the possibilities are endless my dear! Jeaniene Frost is a good place to start or JR Wards Black Dagger Brotherhood. But don't think you will be running of with Bones anytime soon!! Battles have already been fought over that hottie!!!"

Oh, I'm well aware that Bones is off limits. I do not wish to fight with Becs... or Kelly.

I'll definitely read Halfway to the Grave and BDB. If it doesn't work, well, I'll have A LOT of you to blame! LOL!

Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Kelly wrote: "Bones is mine!"

Oh Kelly, I am out of action for a couple of days and you start already with the territorial, claiming thing again!!! *wink*...((hugs))

Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Kelly wrote: "Bones is mine!"

OH, I seriously beg to differ Kells!! I have the badge and everything.

Bones is Mine

Being Human, by the way, was a TV show with a ghost, a werewolf and a vamp. The pics I've used above was the vamp from that show.

KindleRomance Reviews Awesome review!! Where do I get my club picture? I think I would replace red's face with mine though;-) Love your LOTR reference. Awesome movie!

Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Thanks Kris - you can find the Bones is Mine Club here -

KindleRomance Reviews Awesome! It's so cool!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Fabulous review and great pics, Becs! I hope you'll have a great weekend. ((Hugs))

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza Great review! I am hoping for more of a connection or vulnerability from Vlad in the next book. Thanks for the reminder that it did take a while for everything to work out for Kat and Bones. I think I am getting to be too inpatient!

Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews I'm with you on that one Rebecca - JF just likes to keep us salivating for more, I think!

Lee Anne - OMG! Spring is Finally Here! I'm starting this right now. I had to stop reading your wonderful review because I don't want to spoil the book for myself. I'll finish reading your review AFTER I read the book! I love Jeaniene Frost!