Stephanie's Reviews > Fallout

Fallout by Ellen Hopkins

Sep 17, 12

bookshelves: ya, poetry
Read from September 24 to 25, 2011

** spoiler alert ** The last volume of the trilogy was surprisingly light on the "gut-wrenching horror" factor. I had expected much worse things for the children of Kristina, but even though they were enduring some difficult things, they were enduring them quite well overall. I was happily surprised by that, and really extra glad at the slight uptick of the ending.

More specifically, as the last in a series with LOTS of characters, I really appreciated the news clippings throughout and all the tidbits about what happened with the others -- Chase, Brad and his wife Angela and their girls, Robyn, Kristina's father, Trey, and even Brendon. I'm one of those people who doesn't like loose ends. I prefer to know "what really happened" to the characters, which translates to "what the author imagines." So I was really excited when I saw those fake news clips.

However, on the same note, the end leaves a little bit up in the air. The final news clipping provides some basic info, but it doesn't touch on how the kids are all doing at all. I suppose I can't have everything, though, and I think that final article gives a satisfying enough ending. And on that note, I would love to read a memoir co-written by the real Kristina. (And for that matter, a vampire novel by Ellen Hopkins as well!)

Amazing, ambitious story. I will not soon forget it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallout.