Michael's Reviews > The Slap

The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas

Jan 24, 2013

bookshelves: australian, literary-fiction, drama, 10-aussie-books-to-read-before-you, autographed, 2000s
Read from September 24 to 28, 2011

At a suburban barbeque, one slap will change the lives of these people. Christos Tsiolkas unflinchingly looks at domestic life in the Australian suburbs in the twenty first century. The slap and its consequences cause everyone to question their own families and the way they live, their expectations, beliefs and desires. A gripping novel of loyalty and happiness, compromise and truth from the very start to the end.

You’ll either love it or hate it; Christos Tsiolkas’ controversial novel The Slap is heavy reading and very confronting and it all starts with a Slap. The Slap starts at a barbeque for group of family and friends, when one adult slaps an unrelated child the universal tension begins. The book changes perspectives of the different characters at the Barbeque to show different emotions and feelings about the events.

The Slap goes through topics like Discipline, Child Raising, Family Life, Adultery, Friends verse Family, Gossip and Multiculturalism. While the characters are extremely flawed and sometimes you want to slap them, don’t let that put you off. If you are not a fan of course language, be warned it does feature very heavily in this book. Apart from that the writing, the characters and plot are well crafted, I have noticed women seem to hate this book more than men, it could be because of the subject matter. But it doesn’t matter whether you think the child deserved to be slapped (He did), or if the adult should have known better (he should have) this book is going to challenge you in one way or another.

The Slap will play with your emotions all the way through this book and you will rage at the characters and want to slap them senseless. But the turmoil and the internal monologue of all the characters was done really well and makes for an excellent read. It’s like you have an intimate look into the head of all the characters involved in this one incident at a barbeque. It’s a compelling read all the way to the end.
38 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Slap.

09/25/2011 page 250
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review KL

Michael Thanks :)

Litdiva Better than the sum of its parts. The chapter on the old man was particularly strong. My one reservation is that the author did seem to stray dangerously close to stereotype at times in depicting the immigrant Greek families. His heritage is not a license for generalization.

Mish What an awesome cover. This is the first time I've seen it.

Michael It's the special edition I just brought of it

Mish Michael wrote: "It's the special edition I just brought of it"

Oh I love it. It would look wonderful on your new bookshelf :)

Michael It's so awesome, the green cover and the pages are orange trim

Mish Orange trim! That sounds gorgeous and so retro.

Michael I posted a pic on twitter

message 10: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim It was the chapter on Manolis that finally for me turned this into a great book.

Heather S I don't love or hate it. I was kind of Meh about it. I enjoyed reading it, but it didn't change my thinking.