Justine's Reviews > The Pirate's Dilemma: How Youth Culture Is Reinventing Capitalism

The Pirate's Dilemma by Matt Mason

Sep 24, 11

bookshelves: academic-self-improvement
Read in January, 2011

The Pirate's Dilemma tells the story of how youth culture drives innovation and is changing the way the world works.

RWD magazine founding editor-in-chief Matt Mason suggests that at the heart of innovation lies an intersection of piracy, youth and business, and concludes piracy to be just another business model. Given this, the dilemma should not be about how we compete against pirates and how we treat them but becomes more about how we can become better by recognising and capitalising on pirate-led exploits of sailing into waters uncharted by society and market/ spaces where traditional rules do not apply --- an interesting proposition.

I particularly liked the stories on remix, (Napster-style) file sharing, graffiti, hip hop, open-source software - all make great examples of The Pirate's Dilemma and exemplify the concepts of 'creative destruction' and 'radical disruption' --- fabulous!

As suspected this is indeed a good companion to Lawrence Lessig's 'Free Culture' and 'Remix' (both which I have also read and recommend).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pirate's Dilemma.