Abby's Reviews > Unwind

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Sep 24, 11

bookshelves: for-school
Read in September, 2011

I'm amazed at how little I had heard about this book before I read it. I'd never seen or heard a review or a word about it, yet it is very well-written and thought provoking. Shusterman created a pretty believable future world where kids between the ages of 13 and 18 can be "unwound"--making them into parts donors. The story jumps a lot from perspective to perspective, giving the reader a glimpse at the minds of different characters. I thought the main characters were satisfyingly round and dynamic. The dialogue is especially good.
The book is fascinating and disturbing. There was one scene in particular that made me squirm in discomfort, and close the book because I did not want to hear any more. I closed the book, but only for a minute or so; I didn't want to hear more, but I had to know what happened. It's been a couple days since I read it, but I'm still thinking about the story and the implications. It's a lot about the value of human life, and while it never says anything definite about things like God or the human soul, it gives a ton to think about with regards to God and human souls and the value of life.
There was one concluding scene that I thought was a little far-fatched and contrived, having to do with Humphrey Dunfee, but other than that I thought Unwind was a good piece of literature, an interesting story well thought out and pieced together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwind.