Zumbagirl's Reviews > Mr. Impossible

Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase

Nov 01, 11

bookshelves: humorous, widow, egyptian-setting, unlikely-husband, exotic-pet
Read from October 30 to November 01, 2011

Mr. Impossible started out slow for me - lots of details and names - and I had a hard time keeping up with it all. The basic premise of the book was original and appealing to me: widow living in Egypt, missing/abducted brother of said widow, hunky male already jailed but in need of employment, hired to help find brother and fend off villains in the process. There were soooo many names in this book - maybe keeping a notebook nearby would have made it easier; plus, many Egyptian terms - should have kept a glossary too. So this book had a true search-and-rescue theme with a side dish of romance. The couples relationship took a long time to develop; maybe 200 pages in before the chemistry got really good. By this point in the book, you are desperate for it!!! The heroine is a genius, linguist, and loves having a chance to study Egyptian history/hieroglyphics - and the hero plays the part of a dummy albeit a very strong one. So they are an unlikely pair. But they do begin to appreciate each other and the readers are cheering them on because they really do deserve a HEA. She's had a bad marriage and he's just a plain mess, but nothing like her dead husband. There is also an adorable mongoose in this story, who added a nice element.
I probably would have given this a 3 and a half stars, but it picked up at the end. Ms. Chase is one of my favorite authors after Lord of Scoundrels and I will continue to read her books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Impossible.