Arminzerella's Reviews > Woods Runner

Woods Runner by Gary Paulsen

** spoiler alert ** Sam is 13 when his parents are taken prisoner by British troops. He is a woods runner, who is comfortable hunting and living off the land, and he is determined to survive and find them. He is subjected to many horrors of the war (even receiving a head injury from an Iroquois warrior’s tomahawk), but he also meets kind people who are willing to aid him even though it could put their own lives in danger. Sam must travel to New York (from his home in Pennsylvania) to find his folks, and then they all have to rely on his skills to make it safely out of the war zone.

I listened to this in the car while I was commuting between home and work, and it didn’t make much of an impression on me. I found it hard to get into, I think because the chapters (and my attention span) were so short. By the time I was paying attention, the action had already moved on. Gary Paulsen wrote this with alternating fiction/nonfiction chapters. The fictional chapters follow Sam’s story as he searches for his parents. The nonfiction chapters offer additional information about the time period (American Revolutionary War). Not bad, but reader experiences may differ! I may try reading the book (as opposed to listening) to see if it makes a difference in my experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Woods Runner.