LibraryLass's Reviews > The Unwilling Bride

May 02, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own, 2008
Read in May, 2008

3.5 stars for this one. I enjoyed the relationship between Merrick and Constance. The plotline meandered a bit and I felt there were loose threads in the story that would have made the book a bit more "meatier". I thought there were lots of missed opportunities in the story to make it a truly great book.

For example:
SPOILER ALERT!! The conspiracy of the uncles to do away with both Constance and Merrick could have been used far more to "fatten up" the book (if you know what I mean). Instead it was left to 3/4 of the way through for anything really to eventuate in that area and it was fairly mild.

Having said that I thought the premise of Merricks' 15 year secret was portrayed very well. I also loved (most) of the dialogue between M & C. The other characters in the story were great too especially Ranulf. Beatrice was ok but again some of her storyline didn't really go anywhere (we never found out why she was so distraught about M & C's troubles for eg).

Other than my picky-ness bits, it was an enjoyable read. Not a keeper though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unwilling Bride.