Jodie's Reviews > Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut

Riding Rockets by Mike Mullane

Sep 24, 2011

bookshelves: space
Recommended to Jodie by: Stuff to Blow Your Mind Podcast

I really enjoyed this book! I decided to seek out astronaut autobiographies so that if we actually get space tourism in my lifetime I'll know what to expect. I wanted a book that give me a persons perspective of the whole experience and boy did this book step up.

It gives all the personal perspectives into the bladder constricting launch process, unpleasant practicalities of toilets in space and the awe inspiring view, and it also gave all the personal notes that remind you that the people you are reading about are ordinary people in extraordinary situations. I loved the many anecdotes of pranks where one guy chased a piece of poo that had escaped from the toilet only to disgust his collueagues by eating it with relish before telling them it was only a chunk of chocolate!

It also goes into a lot of detail of astronauts administrative responsibilities and goes into depth about their gripes with the way NASA ran the whole space programme which, while can get a little ranty, is a fascinating insight into the time.

Enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riding Rockets.