Lindsay's Reviews > Different Seasons

Different Seasons by Stephen King

Jun 19, 07

bookshelves: stuff-by-the-king
Recommended for: anyone who likes Stephen King, or anyone who doesn't like horror (please see review)
Read in January, 2004

"Different Seasons" is a collection of 4 novellas by Stephen King. It is not typical King fare - none of these novellas fall into the "horror" genre that King is so well-known for.
The book starts out with "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption," which is absolutely superb. If you liked the movie, you will like the novella. It's one of King's best non-horror pieces, in my opinion; the film version is also (again, in my opinion) the best adaptation of any of King's work. "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" follows a man wrongfully imprisoned and his daring and ingenius escape.
It's followed by "Apt Pupil." The novella is different from the film in that the film's ending was changed. The novella is wonderfully dark, though. It shows an average high school boy's descent into darkness when he becomes fascinated and obsessed with a neighbor who he discovers is a Nazi war criminal in hiding. I didn't like the film because of how it varied, but it's worth a watch to see Sir Ian McKellen, because he rocks.
Up next is "The Body," which the film "Stand by Me" is based on. "The Body" is right up there with "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" - one of King's best non-horror works ever. It follows four young boys who learn about a dead body in the woods. Curious, they set off to find it, and their journey becomes a turning point in their lives, a loss of innocence and a coming-of-age. The film is also very good.
And it's followed by "The Breathing Method," which I didn't really like and has not been adapted into a movie. Still, "The Breathing Method" is interesting, to say the least; a young, unwed mother-to-be is determined to give birth, no matter what. It's a little creepy and unsettling, but I wasn't really satisfied with it when I finished it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Different Seasons.