Doug Solter's Reviews > The Crown

The Crown by Nancy Bilyeau

Sep 24, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from January 18 to February 10, 2012

First off, I loved the strong heroine Sister Joanna. She drives the story forward while struggling between her vows and doing whatever she has to in order to save her father's life. How such a devoted nun deals with this internal struggle adds a deeper layer that slips the reader into Joanne's point-of-view and thus re-enforces the empathy we feel for her.

THE CROWN moves at a fast pace like a good thriller should. I would almost compare it to the concise pace of young adult novel. (Which is meant as a compliment.) The pace keeps you turning pages and never lags.

The historical setting of Tudor England feels so authentic on the pages and helps to ground the reader into the time period. Ms. Bilyeau does a nice job of sprinkling details here and there, using it to spice up the chapters rather than making them bland under a mountain of endless historical detail that would slow a novel down to a crawl.

The characters are strong and diverse. Not one is wasted or overlooked. Each character has a specific purpose in the story and are used to great effect, thus making THE CROWN a very well-balanced book. Setting. Pace. Character. Plot. Story. It's all here. In fact, I think this book will turn some non-history readers into Tudor-England fanatics. Or at least curious enough to google some English history websites.

I look forward to reading more of Ms. Bilyeau's work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crown.

01/18/2012 page 32